Drafter of the Serbian ultimatum Tschapka? ID Help Sought

Maple Creek

This helmet was given to my father and we think it may have belonged to Baron Alexander von Musulin. Musulin was the Austro-Hungarian diplomat who drafted the ultimatum to Serbia in 1914, so this would be an interesting connection to confirm. Unfortunately the written communications and oral history relating to the piece are muddled and we're not sure if Musulin was the original owner, or perhaps somebody else. There is another candidate as possible original owner - another Baron.

It would be helpful if I could precisely identify this piece. If it matched with Musulin's military service (which we know nothing about at this point), then that would be fairly definitive. Looks like a 4th Regiment officer's tschapka to me. Is there anything else that can be determined? What's the meaning of the white cloth body. That's unusual. What's the period? It looks like a later vintage tschapka - maybe up to to and during WWI for dress occasions. Rank?

KUK%204th%20Regiment_zpshdtafnv5.jpg

KUK%204th%20Regiment_Right_zpsw2dyeg9j.jpg

Thanks in advance for any help.
Mark D.

Mark,

it is not an officers' tschapka, rather that of a private soldier. Tschapkas of both officers and NCOs were further distinguished by rank braid and in the case of officers with ornamented chin scales, braided rosette and the top of the "mortar board" also in the regimental colour. The white covering on the extension is the facing colour of UR 4.

Alexander Freiherr Musulin von Gomirje was an Oberleutnant in der Reserve in Ulanenregiment Nikolaus II Kaiser von Rußland Nr. 5 in 1914.

Regards
Glenn

Hi Glenn, Thanks very much for this information, even though it seems to conclusively disprove the Musulin connection. It's still a nice piece, no? :)
Mark D.

Glennj said:
Mark,

it is not an officers' tschapka, rather that of a private soldier. Tschapkas of both officers and NCOs were further distinguished by rank braid and in the case of officers with ornamented chin scales, braided rosette and the top of the "mortar board" also in the regimental colour. The white covering on the extension is the facing colour of UR 4.

Alexander Freiherr Musulin von Gomirje was an Oberleutnant in der Reserve in Ulanenregiment Nikolaus II Kaiser von Rußland Nr. 5 in 1914.

Regards
Glenn

Back