Dragoner Helm with mourning veil

Khukri

This helmet belonged to King Albert I-3rd King of the Belgians. 1907-then Prince-He was nominated Oberst: Chef of the 2. Hannoversches Dragoner-Regiment Nr. 16 (Lüneburg).

Special on this helmet: the Wappen and both Kokarden are covered with mourning veil! I was not able to find out for what occasion this was.

November 5th 1913-on his visit to Lüneburg and Potsdam our King becomes "General à la suite der Kavallerie"-The helmet with the Federbusch.
Francis

Attachments

• DSCN2869.JPG
    DSCN2869.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 54
  • DSCN2873.JPG
    DSCN2873.JPG
    5.7 MB · Views: 55
  • DSCN2876.JPG
    DSCN2876.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 41
  • DSCN2881.JPG
    DSCN2881.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 55
Last edited:
I had to look four times before I noticed it was not oxidation of the silverplating !!! :-?
Francis

I too have never heard of this. Is the veil some sort of cheese cloth or light cotton?
Is the veil sewn to fit or is it just tucked in? Please elaborate and add some more photos.

John :eek:

That is amazing, I haver never heard of such a thing. I also look forward to additional pictures when you have time.

As this helmet was King Albert I's helmet and was on display in the exhibition (1914-2014). Not in my hands. I cannot answer to this questions. Hope to get some answers from the Army Museum in Brussels. Perhaps black silk (what else for a Kings helmet ???)
Francis

I have seen photos of I G helmets that were vialed
worn at the funerals of V I P 's

Also I collect items of Confederate Veterans
The Tennessee veterans had a very nice medal ;
The Assoc. of Confederate Soldiers Tennessee Division
A. C.S.T. D.
I have one in it's original box and
there is a piece of black mesh material in the box
I am sure that it was to worn over the medal
when they attended the funeral of a fellow soldier .
Seems this tradition was not only followed by the Germans
and maybe Belgium ?
Steve

But to have a helmet made just for funerals? Either the wearer had extra money or attended a lot of funerals. Very interesting. Wonder if these helmets were for the funeral of King Edward or some other big shot?

Any details about this helmet?

No, all metal is chemically treated and looks like gun blue, but mutch darker of course. I have this pickelhaube since 20 years and nobody ever could give an explanation for it... The only logical thing that came up was a helmet for funerals. This is without proof, but it sounds possible... supposing some guys had to go a lot to funerals...

Strange they both are dragoner helmets, maybe dragoners had certain habbits or so? Guessing of course... I hope someone can come up with some evidence or so...

Adler

Wondering if the treatment wasn't just a private purchase version of the 1915 anti-reflective finish?

Wondering if the treatment wasn't just a private purchase version of the 1915 anti-reflective finish?
It is a private purchase for sure, it has an officers type liner.

Adler, your helmet is not for a Dragoon...
You're right, it must be a beambte or so... I must have been completely bedazzeled or so ](*,) ...

Adler

As this helmet was King Albert I's helmet and was on display in the exhibition (1914-2014). Not in my hands. I cannot answer to this questions. Hope to get some answers from the Army Museum in Brussels. Perhaps black silk (what else for a Kings helmet ???)
Francis
No reply!

Back