Dreyse M1862

krh1956

Right then, joined today, and here's my first query ...

I have a Dreyse M1862 ... it's a fine piece, but I'd like to find a correct bayonet and sling. So, experts, what am I looking for exactly?

Any information/pix gratefully received. And thanks in advance!

Keith

Welcome to the forum, but do not think you can get away with out posting a photo of the Dreyse!
Best
Gus

Ha! Only took delivery of it two days ago, but will get around to taking some pix ... then get around to learning how to post them here!
Keith

Hi

congratulations on your new rifle, those guys are scarce to find.

Here is a link to a gentleman who I purchased an 1862 & 1841 model bayonet from... http://www.jjmilitaryantiques.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; His name is Jason Kaplan and is very knowledgeable. Another source where I have seen them listed from time-to-time would be Gunbroker.com

Any unit markings on the buttplate tang? No idea on the sling, I've never seen one, none of mine have one either.

Larry

krh1956 said:
Ha! Only took delivery of it two days ago, but will get around to taking some pix ... then get around to learning how to post them here!
Keith
Hey Keith,
Here is a thread that might help with posting photos, it is rally easy when you know how, You have had it for two days, ans still not photos? Y are going to have to buy a round of beer at SOS next year if you do not get photos up soon!
Best
Gus

This Dreyse was the first I'd seen for sale in the UK for some time, so when it popped up, I thought I should nab it sharpish ... here's a photo supplied by the seller. I'm waiting for my super-talented photographer daughter to come home from holiday before getting some photos taken!

Nice, that photo will keep you out of trouble for a few days, I suspect that cost a few bob.
Best
gus

It was money well spent, in my opinion. And although expensive, was still a bargain, I reckon. As I said, it was the first I've seen on sale in the UK for a good couple of years, and I try to keep my ear to the ground!

Hello Keith

If you happen to speak German, this is a useful page:
http://www.waffensammler-kuratorium.de/Dillenbajo%20M%2062/BajoM62ge.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If not, I can tell you that inter alia it says the bayonet should be browned, not bright like the M1841 bayonet. I have an M1862 which took me a while to find a bayonet for, but they are out there and you shouldn't have to pay much over £200 for a good one. Ebay is the best bet. It may take a while tho and you need to have patience. Resist the temptation to buy something like this:
http://www.waffenhandelimspessart.de/index.php?option=com_articlelist&view=article&id=31" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
which has no original finish left. I got mine from this dealer, who is a bit hit and miss with his stock but seems reasonable enough on prices:
http://www.huesken.com/index_e.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I would rate your chance of finding a sling at about nil. However one never knows what will turn up. I've also managed to buy an M1841 and bayonet; it was not cheap, but as you say, there's very little around in the UK. Are you a Franco-Prussian War collector or is your interest just in the firearms?

I will try and upload some photos in the next few days.

Good luck!

S.

PS welcome to the Forum!
PPS that bright bayonet in the first link is a French bayonet.
PPPS they come without scabbards - none were issued and the bayonet was carried fixed on campaign. Sounds incredibly inconvenient, but it's true.

Hey Scratch, thanks for all the information ... will read and digest. Luckily my wife has passable German, so I rely on her for detailed translation.

Good to hear that you agree about the rarity of these in the UK, I was SLIGHTLY worried that it was just me who had missed the Dreyse-R-Us website!

I collect firearms, mainly, but I like to get bits and pieces to display in context, so a pickelhaube might be next once I've cracked the bayonet issue.

Keith

Hey Keith, I think I heard that Sarco has just imported several thousand Dreyses from a warehouse in Russia, and they are going to offer them for $49.95 and throw in the bayonet for free!
Best
Gus

Gustaf said:
Hey Keith, I think I heard that Sarco has just imported several thousand Dreyses from a warehouse in Russia, and they are going to offer them for $49.95 and throw in the bayonet for free!
Best
Gus
That's terrific news Gus, now I will be able to bathe in them every night. My good lady will be thrilled!

Just taken delivery of this book ...
Das Zündnadelgewehr - Eine militärtechnische Revolution im 19. Jahrhundert by Rolf Wirtgen.
Seems to be all you need to know about the needle-gun.
All I need to do now is learn to read German ...

Keith

Somewhat later than intended, here are some photos. First the M62 bayonet, which unlike the M41 should be browned, not bright. Excuse the cat hairs, which I didn’t notice when I was taking the photos:

2wq68at.jpg

2lsim4p.jpg

10p4nfb.jpg

2dbnn2r.jpg

2v12i37.jpg

287n9yq.jpg

Next the rifle. (That nasty new-looking knock in the second-last picture was there when the dealer had it.) Apart from that I really like it; it’s nice and untouched. 1869 is the year of manufacture; 1870 is the year of issue:

5k0m0n.jpg

5vvyut.jpg

33kwsao.jpg

2uzfh8z.jpg

s48cxu.jpg

r8yv6f.jpg

sxd91d.jpg

Hi Scratch, interesting pix!

My rifle only has one date stamp, 1867, would that indicate that it was not actually issued?

Still looking for a bayonet ...

Keith

Keith

I wouldn't necessarily assume that. I have a feeling I've seen at least one other photo of a Dreyse with just the one date, but can't remember where. I don't know what the issuing process was, or whether there was more than one supply chain via which a rifle could have got into use, but there were more M1841s than M1862s in use during the F-P War and it seems likely that every available up-to-date weapon would have been pressed into service. But really we need someone who understands the Prussian supply system to comment.

Cheers,

S.

I had another look at flasheart's photographs, and his M41 seems to have only one date stamp, while his M62 has two.

I dare say my new German Zundnadelgewehr textbook contains all the answers, but translating may take some time ...

Keith

Nice rifle Scratch....these old guys are hard to find. Thanks for posting the photos always good to see these tigers in captivity. :thumb up:

I had a look at my 1862, its dated 1867 and 1868 with the buttplate tang marked to the 7th Grenadier Regiment, serial number 4862, Soemmerda mfg.

My other one is an odd duck, the barrel is finished brown with a bright receiver and no date stamps or Imperial proofs anywhere to be seen. The only markings are Gu.S Suhl on the right side of the receiver and the number 5 stamped on the two sections of the blue steel rear sight, receiver, barrel, buttplate tang and all visible screwheads. The stock is unmarked and it's also dufflebag cut beneath the lower barrel band. This enabled the GI to stow it in his dufflebag for the trip home to the states after WWII.

Any thoughts on this one? :-k

Cheers

Larmo

Back