Dreyse Zündnadelgewehr Model 1841 and Model 1862

flasheart

Gents,

I finally received my Mod 41 after it had been sitting with Customs for a few weeks. I thought there would be some folks interested in seeing these very rare firearms that had a profound influence on the course of events in Europe in the mid-19th century and which led inexorably to the two great conflicts of the 20th century. The Model 1841, the very first of the Dreyse is exceedingly rare. Try searching on google and you probably won't find a photo. Even John Walters definitive text on German Rifles does not have a photo of the M41. So here are these two brothers for comparison:

- A Dreyse Sommerda made Model 1841, dated 1854
- A Suhl made Model 1862, dated 1868

Side by side, the 62 is above and the 41 is below. Note that the 41 is slightly longer and actually has slimmer lines and smaller butt than the 62
P5032942.jpg

A closer view showing the different butt shape
P5032949.jpg

left side of stock showing the 41 with cheekpiece, 62 without.
P5032958.jpg

forend view showing different nose cap (62 on top, 41 below)
P5032950.jpg

Mod 41 receiver
P5032951.jpg

Mod 62 receiver
P5032952.jpg

M41 guard inletted into stock
P5032964.jpg

M62 guard partilaly inletted. I don't know whether this is deliberate or a manufacturing variation.
P5032963.jpg

Action shown open. Mod 41 above, Mod 62 below> nearly identical but with minor variations.
P5032969.jpg

Rear sights. Mod 41 leafs are thinner that Mod 62
P5032970.jpg

Receiver markings
P5032971.jpg

Regimental markings on the butt tang
P5032972.jpg

That is a lot of photos, so I will leave it there. I have stripped the bolt and removed the needle so I can post photos of that sequence if anyone is interested.

Mike

OK, Now for Zundnadelgewehr 101. Stripping the needle-rifle for cleaning (and to see how it all works!)

The bolt is removed by firstly drawing back the cocking piece at the rear of the bolt with your thumb (as if you are cocking the rifle) then drawing the bolt handle back through the receiver slot whilst simultaneously fully depressing the trigger
P5032957-1.jpg

P5032973.jpg

The cocking piece is then withdrawn by firstly rotating it from its normal position here:
P5032974.jpg

through approximately 90 degrees to the left to this position which has a slot in the bolt body that will allow the cocking piece to be removed:
P5032975.jpg

The spring lock on the cocking piece is then depressed like this:
P5032976.jpg

and the cocking piece can be withdrawn from the bolt body
P5032977.jpg

While pressing down on the front end of the needle to prevent it being projected across the room, the spring lock can be raised to release it from the bolt body, and thereby releasing the needle carrier and spring from the bolt body:
P5032980.jpg

the needle carrier and spring can now be withdrawn from the front of the bolt body and disassembly is almost complete:
P5032981.jpg

the needle is secured in the needle carrier by a screw thread which can be difficult to grip but it does have a hole that allows you to place a thin object through and assist in unscrewing the needle. I assume that this hole would accommodate a needle, so you could use one of your spares to do this job:
P5032983.jpg

The needle is now released
P5032984.jpg

needle and carrier
P5032985.jpg

reassembly is the reverse sequence

Note that this full disassembly is not necessary to replace a worn or damaged needle. To prepare to change a needle, you need only draw back the cocking piece with your thumb and then push it forward again to cock the weapon

This shot shows the rear of the bolt prior to cocking
P5032990.jpg

the spring lock is pressed down with the thumb, the cocking piece is drawn to the rear (no spring pressure at this stage). You then push the cocking piece forward again, this time against spring pressure and the weapon is cocked. In this photo the rear of the needle is shown protruding from the rear of the bolt. If a soldier needed to change needles he could cock it like this, unscrew the old needle, put in a new one and he is ready to go again. No disassembly required. I didn't find this in a drill manual, it is just very apparent when you play with the Dreyse.
P5032989.jpg

For a further installments of 'The Rifles that won the Franco-Prussian War', I have just purchased a Bavarian M1869 Werder 'Blitzgewehr' from Hermann Historica. It should arrive in a couple of weeks and then I will post more pics.
werder-1.jpg

werder2-1.jpg

Mike

=D> =P~ :headbang:

Those are absolutely fantastic rifles! All in such nice condition too. Bravo!

I like the wood on the Werder, nicely striped.

Congradulations,

Geo

PS Thanks for the photos

Chas,

Yes, shipping is expensive, around $USD300 for something like this via FEDEX or airfreight. The problem is the length of 18/19 century long guns. Under about 42" they go via the standard postal service, above that they exceed the limit and have to go via airfreight. So, pistols and carbines are no problem, definitely less than $100 to ship. But when you start shipping Long Land Pattern Brown Besses, French M1766 and Dreyse needle guns, it gets expensive.

Mike

Back