Dunkelblau JR 117

b.loree

Administrator
Staff member
I picked this up at the SOS 2018. I do not have a helmet to match but I do have the OR's Wappen from this Regiment so I had to go for it.

A little background.....

Ernst Ludwig, destined to be the last Grand Duke of Hesse und bei Rhein, was born in November of 1868. He was one of seven children born to the future Grand Duke Ludwig IV and Princess Alice of Great Britain and Ireland, second daughter of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert, the Prince Consort.

When his father died in 1892, Ernst succeeded him as Grand Duke of Hesse. The only thing missing from the Grand Duke's life was a consort to share his Throne. His grandmother, Queen Victoria took the matter in hand, and intervened as matchmaker for her young grandson, and soon Ernst was pressured to marry Princess Victoria Melita, daughter of Prince Alfred, the Duke of Coburg, and his Russian wife, Marie Alexandrovna, only daughter of Emperor Alexander II.

The wedding took place in Coburg on April 19, 1894, and the young Grand Duke awarded Infanterie-Leib Regt. (3. Großherzoglich Hessisches) Nr.117 (Mainz) XVIII Armee Korps the cypher VM (Grand Duchess Viktoria Melitta) to honour his new wife.

However, the marriage was an unhappy one and in 1901, Viktoria Melitta asked Ernst Ludwig for a divorce. It was unheard of for a sovereign to terminate a marriage, but gossip over the scandalous event could not prevent a Hessen court from dissolving the marriage in December 1901.

After the divorce, the Ernst Ludwig changed the cypher of Infanterie-Leib Regt. Großherzogin (3. Großherzoglich Hessisches) Nr.117 to A, for his mother, Grossherzogin Alice. This cypher was worn by Infanterie-Leib Regt. Nr.117 until Grand Duke Ernst Ludwig abdicated in November 1918.

The shoulder strap of Infanterie-Leib Regt. (3. Großherzoglich Hessisches) Nr.117 the cypher VM (Grossherzogin Viktoria Melitta) was only worn from 30 Jan 1897 to 15 Jan 1902, making these straps almost impossible to find. This example is a massive issued piece, with red/white twisted cord of a Einjährig-Freiwilliger (One year volunteer). I photographed it with an issue strap bearing the cypher of Grossherzogin Alice as worn after 15 Jan 1902. Tony

IR117.jpg

A little background you say......

That is well explained ..couldn’t do better tony 🤣

Thanks T, excellent explanation and pics. One other thing Tony told me today in a phone conversation, my example with the clipped corners is an earlier pattern of this strap. Jonas, congratulations, you have some very rare pieces there! :thumb up:

Back