Dutch?

Hi

Any comments on this dutch? helmet?

Doc

http://imageshack.us/g/193/98776835.jpg/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What a magnificent old helmet =D> (where's that jaw-dropping smiley guy when you need him). Shows lots of similarities to the French Chevau-Legers De la Garde Du Roi (1814-1815). Same black leather body with two scrolls coming up from the base on each side. Single large fluer-de-lys on the frontplate but no crown above and different side bosses, and more of a scalloped design to the metal portions of the crest. I'd love to know more about it..

Larry

Well guys I spent an hour this morning looking through two books in the collection, Les Coiffueres de L'Armee Francaise by Margerand and Plaques de Shakos by Blondieu and this helmet plate does not show up. There are several that are very close, multiple fluer-de-lys with a crown above, but no large single one with a crown. I even looked through Kube's book Militaria thinking something would show up there, dry hole. I do not speak or read French so there may be a detail in the written portion of the books that I am missing.

The two French books I named here are excellent references and go into incredible detail showing the amazing amount of variations/changes in headgear plates (plaques), and other important details, which appear on French examples from 1791 to about 1900. I would have thought for sure something would have been shown there #-o
Someone's gotta know....Royal Household helmet of some type...or????

Larry

This is a high quality helmet, from the mid point 1820s and at this stage there can be a lot of individual variation with officer's helmets; so look for similar, not exactly the same.

That's a valid point, however, Margerand (1868-1962) does go into great detail to show both officer and enlisted variations of headgear. It just surprises me that he doesn't illustrate it in his book.

Why oh why didn't I pay more attention in French Class, Miss Douceau warned me..... ](*,)

LS

Yes, its for sale in a Danish auction. They got several other helmets for sale. See this link:

http://www.lauritz.com/ItemList/CustomItemList.aspx?OnlyActive=1&LanguageId=1&article=0&ItemCollectionId=2425&SelectedTab=0&PageIndex=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Does the damage to the plate near the fleur de lis (Spelling!????) bother anybody else? Looked at the auctions... another to add to my 'check' list.

:D Ron

French, Guard National ,.
the damage is easily repaired the Fleur de lis has been bumped and the fixing pins have been pulled out leaving it a bit out of position. Unfortunately the plume holder for this helmet is being sold along with the Belgian cuirassier helmet on the list.
THe Guard national is missing 2 tiny fleur's in the centres of the bosses(stars are there in place of them) The large foliates are probably not for this particular helmet as they are place far too forward on the helmet. The helmet is also missing it's liner and leather embossed rear peak. Impressive helmet but it needs a lot of serious work to make it right.

The Belgian helmet was the first helmet on the list.

I watched the auction and bid on three helmets. The Belgian 2nd cuirassier. the French Guard National, and the German Cuirassier. I was successful in all three . I got them at a very reasonable price especially the french helmet.
I would not have bid had I not had the spare parts which were missing from all three.
Also, I was fortunate to obtain the Plume holder for the French helmet which for some reason was being sold along with the Belgian helmet!

These should restore very well . Thank you doc holiday for the tip off

Great that you got some of the helmets :)

Its rare to see these helmets in a danish auction but it happens. Something special you are looking for? I know a lot of collectors adn sometime helmets like these come up

Doc

I'm back, I couldn't log in before so I got another member to send my last message. anyway in answer to your question I am always interested in fine headdress. I like the older helmets french British and German. Also most Imperial period.
So, should you know anyone who wishes to sell or trade by all means, let them know.

The French Guard National helmet is of the 1814 restoration period.. The foliates were actually placed in the wrong position it has been restored exceptionally well. I am just awaiting a small fleur for one side and it will be complete.

Along with this came a Prussian cuirassier helmet to the 2nd cuirassiers. However it requires a set of chinscales. If anyone can help I would appreciate a reply. I can buy or exchange

Back