Ebay Guards du Corps helmet

Peter and Coert65,

what can I say: broke but happy. Should be at its new home next week :)

Andreas
I am happy for you, you did the right thing, and have a helmet you can admire, and be proud of!
A very worthy addition to your collection. You did the right thing joining us, and got prevented from buying a helmet that wasn't the real deal.
Looking forward to your pictures when it arrives at your home, and you have it displayed!

Congratulations, Coert. :) 👍

Also notice that the trim on Tony's helmet is all the same thickness (width). It does indeed look like the eagle was swatted a few times with a mallet to hid obvious flaws.

:D Ron

// And definitely won't make an offer on the one in France. //

On that one, yes. But one questionable offering from French ebay does not disqualify the country. Please believe me when I say some of the most informed, knowledgeable, and absolutely wonderful collectors are in France. I count many as my friends.

In this case though....

aliens.jpg

Peter and Coert65,

what can I say: broke but happy. Should be at its new home next week :)

Andreas
That's great news, I'm envious as I've ummed and ahed for a while but as always it comes down to money.
What a score and can't wait to see your images.

On that one, yes. But one questionable offering from French ebay does not disqualify the country. Please believe me when I say some of the most informed, knowledgeable, and absolutely wonderful collectors are in France. I count many as my friends.

In this case though....

View attachment 16536
Definitely not. I speak the language and love the country. And above gave me a good chuckle.

That's great news, I'm envious as I've ummed and ahed for a while but as always it comes down to money.
What a score and can't wait to see your images.
I hear you. This is my third helmet this year and I spent much more than I had planed.

I hear you. This is my third helmet this year and I spent much more than I had planed.
That happens I would assume to all of us, it defines our passion and what makes collectors different from the average person.
I'm so happy you bought it as bay state militaria not only has great items but he's a lot less expensive than most.
My love of the 'Guards' helmets stemmed from these amazing images of a moderators from another forum.

Attachments

• GKR-a.thumb.jpg.8ba3a2de9f3bebada4efb6d36d049706.jpg
    GKR-a.thumb.jpg.8ba3a2de9f3bebada4efb6d36d049706.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 17
  • GKR-b.jpg.723b143daea422907cdc66b21a095e3e.jpg
    GKR-b.jpg.723b143daea422907cdc66b21a095e3e.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 17
  • GKR-c.thumb.jpg.e79ed59414cb1d30e204d4dcd2bb2fc2.jpg
    GKR-c.thumb.jpg.e79ed59414cb1d30e204d4dcd2bb2fc2.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 16
  • GKR-d.thumb.jpg.b4a2e0b8197ebb61106288c64fda644a.jpg
    GKR-d.thumb.jpg.b4a2e0b8197ebb61106288c64fda644a.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 17
  • GKR-e.jpg.e28609b3bff106feec08a26873ed46ee.jpg
    GKR-e.jpg.e28609b3bff106feec08a26873ed46ee.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 18
  • GKR-f.jpg.a6ae390dd0402bf4de47321c3c22912a.jpg
    GKR-f.jpg.a6ae390dd0402bf4de47321c3c22912a.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 18
  • GKR-h.jpg.088bb892ff405dd825515002f22567ae.jpg
    GKR-h.jpg.088bb892ff405dd825515002f22567ae.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 20
  • GKR-i.jpg.5446cd829bba257fd1efe293589a4cda.jpg
    GKR-i.jpg.5446cd829bba257fd1efe293589a4cda.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 19
  • GKR-k.jpg.3e5027b72e5c8385df9e6778e4f50f22.jpg
    GKR-k.jpg.3e5027b72e5c8385df9e6778e4f50f22.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 19
Personally, spending similar money on ebay I'd want to see it. And much prefer to buy off a reputable seller if I have apprehensions.
There's one on 'bay state military' as we speak and for the same amount but in USD. He's a great guy and it comes with a return option.
Wish you luck.
I beg to differ on B S military.

DoneDoing, members had discussed B S before. I have better experience with age of Kings.

I could also tell stories about Bay State. Definitely not "one of the good guys". Not to cast aspersions on this helmet. He does have some nice things at times. Definite thumbs up for Age Of Kings.

Steve

Last edited:
Ah ok, I was expressing from my view point from items I've bought over a number of years but have had similar unsavoury deals with other dealers that people swear by so I understand.

Lately though, we have seen a few blunt inquiries: "Is this authentic? What is the value?" that make you feel like the forum has become a free appraisal website.
I totally agree with Bruno (y)
I also think this is a very bad start in a collection to try to purchase such expensive helmets. Better try to start small and humble with classic helmets to get the feeling of what you are exactly collecting. Then grow slowly with you collection and your knowledge will grow too. Just collect step by step, and do not try to skip some steps.

Philippe
;)

I totally agree with Bruno (y)
I also think this is a very bad start in a collection to try to purchase such expensive helmets. Better try to start small and humble with classic helmets to get the feeling of what you are exactly collecting. Then grow slowly with you collection and your knowledge will grow too. Just collect step by step, and do not try to skip some steps.

Philippe
;)
Argonne,
you don't know nothing about me or my collection, so please refrain from any further comments about my person or my collection.
Andreas
;)

Just take it easy, Andreas ;)
I saw so much people in the past buying so much (ugly and fake) helmets for so much money, only because thay are looking great or because they were worn in a elite unit, making the only joy of wellknown fraudulent sellers (as Madjek, for example)....
Good and bad helmets will cross your way and you will be able some days to make your decision alone, but it takes time before you have this "feeling". Time and patience are the most important things in the collection. This is just my two cents.

Philippe
;)

Argonne,
once again you assume, this time about my state of mind and again......you are wrong. If it comes to your educated opinion about helmets I am very much interested in what you have to say and appreciate any input. Telling me how to collect, what to collect and when, and how to react to others, that have nothing nice to say about a purchase a member made, I can live without. So let's leave it at that.
La parole a été donnée à l'homme pour déguiser sa pensée.
Talleyrand

Andreas,

Take it easy my friend. I, for one, only collect M15's and enlisted M95's. Because I have more with the common soldier.
My great grandfather was in RIR 213. I do have a very nice officer M95 in my collection, but only, because I could buy it really cheap.
Not that I don't like Garde officer helmets, or, in this instance, Garde du Corps. Those helmets are really beautiful.
But anybody should collect what they want, for me, that are common M15's, or M95's.
To each his own reason for collecting these nice helmets. We can be all the same, but differ in collecting helmets.
I like a little worn M15, and be very happy with it, another might shy away. And prefer a very nice Garde du Corps.
( and remember: la union fait la force.) It is what this forum is about.

Regards, Coert.

Last edited:
Andreas,

Take it easy my friend. I, for one, only collect M15's and enlisted M95's. Because I have more with the common soldier.
My great grandfather was in RIR 213. I do have a very nice officer M95 in my collection, but only, because I could buy it really cheap.
Not that I don't like Garde officer helmets, or, in this instance, Garde du Corps. Those helmets are really beautiful.
But anybody should collect what they want, for me, that are common M15's, or M95's.
To each his own reason for collecting these nice helmets. We can be all the same, but differ in collecting helmets.
I like a little worn M15, and be very happy with it, another might shy away. And prefer a very nice Garde du Corps.
( and remember: la union fait la force.) It is what this forum is about.

Regards, Coert.
Coert,
I couldn't agree more. Two of my great grandfathers were reserve officers and hence I am collecting those helmets. I have five now (Prussia, Bavaria, Saxony, Württemberg and Baden) but always loved the Guards du Corps helmet, though I didn't really knew anything about them. The only one I had ever seen offered was at Weitze a while back for above 12k Euros (if I recall correctly), hence out of range of what I could ever afford. As I found the one on ebay in France I was blinded by the opportunity and wanted to jump on it before it was gone. Thanks to members like you I didn't fall prey to it and ended up having a really nice one that is actually cheaper than the flawed one.
And I always take it easy, as at my age not doing so can lead to an unplanned early departure. :cool:
Appreciate your feedback.
Andreas

La parole a été donnée à l'homme pour déguiser sa pensée.
Talleyrand
Well well,
"Aux âmes bien nées, la valeur n´attend point le nombre des années" :giggle:
Corneille

Andreas, because you seem to speak and understand the french language very well: here is another very well documented forum where you will find a lot of interesting informations and answers to all your questions about Pickelhauben too ;)

Are you a german collector?

Nichts für ungut ;)

Philippe
;)

Last edited:
Back