eBay Zeppelin attributed Deck Officer Schirmmütze

Lost Skeleton

I spotted the following on fleaBay, and find it difficult to accept the hyperbole that it is a Zeppelin-related item. The seller's description alleges the bullion embroidery on the fringed streamers of the Kaiserkrone symbolizes "Z" for Zeppelin and "V" for valor (shouldn't that be "T" for Tapferkeit?). The fact that two of the so-called Z's are inverted is also curious. I may be wrong, but I believe this is a decent, albeit "run-of-the-mill", KM Decksoffizier cover and nothing more.

Last edited:
I have known of this cap for some time, and I saw the same things here as you do, even if it not Zeppelin, assuming its originality, it still would be extremely nice to have, but as we know, Peter is right, you just about have to sell a kidney, a lung and your liver to get one. Other than that, my knowledge is very shallow, and that is all I can say on this cap.

I spotted the following on fleaBay, and find it difficult to accept the hyperbole that it is a Zeppelin-related item. The seller's description alleges the bullion embroidery on the fringed streamers of the Kaiserkrone symbolizes "Z" for Zeppelin and "V" for valor (shouldn't that be "T" for Tapferkeit?). The fact that two of the so-called Z's are inverted is also curious. I may be wrong, but I believe this is a decent, albeit "run-of-the-mill", KM Decksoffizier cover and nothing more.
I completely agree with your assessment - and the examples you shared from Weitze seem to show that the pattern within the scrolls (different on virtually every example he has for sale) were simply decorative variations in hand-embroidered insignia.

Der Rittmeister posts some especially egregious descriptions, packed with hyperbole and fantasy. The notion that the "Z"s represent "zeppelin missions" completed, and the "V"s are for valor (!?) sound like complete fabrications. A sizable chunk of their item descriptions include obviously artificial history, and the prices are often eye-wateringly insane (like this one). This dealer remains a mystery to me.

I completely agree with your assessment - and the examples you shared from Weitze seem to show that the pattern within the scrolls (different on virtually every example he has for sale) were simply decorative variations in hand-embroidered insignia.

Der Rittmeister posts some especially egregious descriptions, packed with hyperbole and fantasy. The notion that the "Z"s represent "zeppelin missions" completed, and the "V"s are for valor (!?) sound like complete fabrications. A sizable chunk of their item descriptions include obviously artificial history, and the prices are often eye-wateringly insane (like this one). This dealer remains a mystery to me.
He seems to have plenty of money to buy for their inventory for resale
I have met him and his wife before
They seem to be very nice people
No children as far as I know ?
A younger couple came along and were going to down the road buy the business
the couple I think got a divorce
The girl is still at the Der R
Along the way Jim Turinetti became a limited partner ?
but Jim is now selling most of his helmet collection
When I first knew Ken , he was selling Sanka flier cards and patriotic jewelry
Steve

Back