EKI - it is a fake, isn´t it?

Douglas

Hi folks,

Found this EKI in the Internet. To me it is a fake as I never saw such kind of numbers and looks that the core was repainted (mayba a one-piece construction). Also the maker´s mark is uncommon (Deschler & Sohn).

The pictures are not great but are everything I managed to get.

opinions on this one?

Douglas.

eki7vt.jpg

eki23gt.jpg

Rendsburg said:
Hi Douglas,
Happy to see you again!

My opinion: Fake!
Otto

Hi Otto,

Glad to see you too! And the girls of your life? Are they OK?

I also think this EK I is not a good one. Let´s see what the others have to say.

Douglas. :D

Oi Douglas and Otto:

The previous time I encountered a Deschler & Sohn marked EK, it was advertised as a "Museum Copy" of an 1870 Star to the Grand Cross (something which never existed). The only genuine stars were the Blücherstern and Hindenburgstern. Furthermore, there is no mention of this firm in Stephen Previtera's exhaustive reference, The Iron Time.

You are wise to regard it with skepticism.

Chas.

The firm Deschler & Sohn was originally Gustav Deschler. According to Court Jewlers of the world by J.R. Jacob the name was changed to Deschler & Sohn sometime between World War I and World War II. Deschler & Sohn is listed in Previtera's book (page 446) as a Third Reich era maker.

The piece on the internet is very suspect in terms of the marking, configuration of the center and particularly the style of the hinge.

Reservist1

Hello again R1:

Thanks for picking me up despite the gaffe. LDO 1 should have been a "no brainer" to spot on Stephen's list.

Chas.

Deschler u. Sohn made many badges during WWI. I have several in my collection. This is the first I have heard about this type of Deschler mark on an EK, however. It appears to be a very poor marking and I would tend to doubt its authenticity.

Chip

Back