ELSASS-LOTHRINGEN ? HELMET

DASH

Hello - I am a new member and thought I would make an additional comment on the July 02 topic from Dan - help with helmet ID and parts. I've owned the same type NCO helmet since 1964, and am still not sure what it is (gilded brass Reichsadler, fluted spike without kugel, round base with round screws, single reichs kokarde, flat brass scales, thin black leather liner with squared fingers). By coincidence, my name is also Dan. Over the years, I have been told that it was: Elsass-Lothringen official (beamte) or Zoll (although it does not have the small Zoll kugel). Another possibility was listed as lot #211 with a picture and description in the 18 November 1972 catalog from the Tradition Auctionhaus in Munich. It shows the same helmet (except an officers model with star screws and silk liner) and lists it as : SEE-BATAILLONE: HELM eines ZAHLMEISTERS der MARINE-INFANTERIE. This just may be an unsolved mystery where the plot only thickens - what would life be without a little unsolved mystery. DAN

Joe - If you are lost, it's from my directions as I am still unsure of the forum protocol. The subject was "Need help with helmet ID and parts" in the LATEST FIND section, posted July 02,2007 by GANGBIRDS77, who included a picture of the helmet. You informed him that you were of the opinion that it was from Elsass-Lothringen. I spoke to Ron Manion back in '77 and he also thought mine was an Elsass officials, police, or zoll, but that it should have a small spike kugel, which it does not. I also note that the feathers on the wingtips are more slender and sharper than the rather flat/rounded feather tips on the police wappen that I have seen. Of the pickelhauben listed in the TRADITION AUCTIONHAUS catalog in 1972, three were very similar with the short fluted spike - the one we are discussing listed as a See batalion paymaster (without kugel), and two police, one with a "Lowen" wappen, the other with a "Beamtenadler" wappen, both with small kugelen. Dan

Hey Dan,
If you wish to comment on a spacific thread, the correct method is to go to the bottom of the thread and click the reply button, that attaches your comment to the ensisting thread. To be honest, you have done it better in this way, as it looks like you need a new thread to discuss your helmet. Photos of your helmet would be a great help to those who have the knowledge (I do not).
Welcome to the forum
gus

Dan,

I wish I had to a picture to work off of. I really don't know the difference between the various different types of police, shutzmannschafter, Zoll etc.

References are few. In the Radeke book on page 147 there is a picture of a foot gendarme from Alsace-Lorraine. This is further complicated by the fact that Beamte helmets changed a lot in 1896. Based on your description of the liner yours predates that. So it is very possible that the spike could take many forms. I don't think there is a good body of knowledge on this -- I'm not even sure where to look. I don't think it has anything to do with Marine infantry. I'm far from infallible on this subject or any other.

Thanks for the tips on using the forum. I don't own a digital camera (I always used my daughters when I needed one, but she has moved to the other side of the state so I guess I'll have to buy one). I'll post some pictures as soon as I get one.

Although there are no markings on the helmet, and I have absolutely no expertise on the subject, I have always been resigned to the fact that it is an Elsass helmet, but that little spark from the Tradition catalog always let me hope it was perhaps a little more. Anyway, it is what it is, and I am glad to have it.

Dan

Back