EM M95 Grenadier helmet.

coert65

Good morning,Some pictures of my not regimentally marked Grenadier helmet.It only has 28 in it,but I liked it,so bought it. Have a nice day! :)

Nice looking helmet but there is no Grenadier Regiment Nr.28 :-k can you unscrew the spike are there any extra holes in the helmet ?

BTW,I can't unscrew thw spike.If you know if it's not what its supposed to be,can you let me know what plate should belong on it?I am not so good with regiments as most are here,greetings,Coert.

If this "28" does represent the number of the Regt it would belong to Inf Regt von Goeben which is a Prussian line regt. VIII Armee Korps, established 1813 and based at Ehrenbreitstein, I,II Bataillons based at Koblenz. This Regt wore the typical Prussian brass wappen. So, the Grenadier Wappen is probably an add on. However, the grenadier wappen itself is nice and probably worth more on it's own than what you paid for the helmet. You have not lost any money. Many of us collect wappen by the way and there is a wappen section here on the forum. Good to see you posting and showing us your helmets Coert :thumb up:

Brian said it all good info :thumb up: a other way to check is that Grenadier and other special Regiments almost always have a unscrew spike for parade plumes.

One other hint from an old guy collector regarding spikes that unscrew for the trichter, the easiest way to see if your OR's/officer spike unscrews is to simply turn the helmet upside down and look into the interior of the spike base, use a flashlight if you have to. However, if the spike is for a trichter, you will see the (usually) square nut soldered to the top of the spike base. Both spike and trichter which are equipped with screw posts, screw into this soldered nut and that is how they are attached to the spike neck. IR 28 did not wear a trichter to parade, while all grenadier Regts did wear a black trichter to parade. If possible, Coert it would be nice to see an interior and outside picture of the front of this helme with wappen removed, just so we can see the "extra holes".

Good morning everybody,and thanks for the info about my helmet, :thumb up: I did not remove the wappen,but took a picture of the inside of the helmet,so you can look.By the way,I also made a picture of I think what you mean by a removable spike-top for a trichter,wich is on one of my helmets..and a picture of a very sad prussian helmet,wich has holes in it,loose front and rear visors,but maybe has the correct wappen. Boy,what great knowledge here,am glad I joined you guys.. :)

coert ;
Yes the photo where you show the spike removed
from the spike base is correct .
Only the regiments who wore a bush for parade
would have the spike to un-screw and remove .
All 12 of the Prussian Grenadier Regiments
G R1 to G R 12 wore a parade bush
so the spike should screw off .
However let me say that in my collection
I do have one Grenadier helmet were the
spike does not un-screw
I inspected the helmet well years ago before I bought
it and I feel that it is correct

Steve

You guys made me go check my 1655 .

The top does unscrew \:D/

My wartime felt does not :thumbsdown:

But I am pretty sure none of them did. :thumb up:

Or did they ............?

I have a felt Grenadier Regt 7
Now you got me going
I can't remember if the spike un-screws
I will have to check tomorrow

Steve

Are we sure it says 28? If you wet the tip of your finger and rub it on the Mark does anything else jump out?

joerookery said:
Are we sure it says 28? If you wet the tip of your finger and rub it on the Mark does anything else jump out?

I agree. A number 28 does not automatically mean infantry regiment 28. Could be an inventory number or something. Did infantry regiment 145 take a parade plume?

Thanks for the additional fotos Coert. The inside picture showing the original grommeted holes tells me this was originally either a Saxon or Bavarian helmet. Both of these have the wappen hole spacing seen here.....the distance between holes is much smaller than Prussian or Wurtt for example. My references tell me that there was no 28th IR from Bavaria or Saxony in 1914 so this number can not represent a regimental designation. I would take off the grenadier wappen and look for any traces of a Saxe or Bavarian (marks) in the lacquer. As Steve said, your pic of an unscrewed spike is totally correct for what was mentioned in one of my posts here.

b.loree said:
Thanks for the additional fotos Coert. The inside picture showing the original grommeted holes tells me this was originally either a Saxon or Bavarian helmet. Both of these have the wappen hole spacing seen here.....the distance between holes is much smaller than Prussian or Wurtt for example. My references tell me that there was no 28th IR from Bavaria or Saxony in 1914 so this number can not represent a regimental designation. I would take off the grenadier wappen and look for any traces of a Saxe or Bavarian (marks) in the lacquer. As Steve said, your pic of an unscrewed spike is totally correct for what was mentioned in one of my posts here.

I am pretty sure the helmet Coert showed with the two extra holes is not the Grenadier helmet. Its the Prussian one.

Answer to the question about I R 145 .
They are called K.I.R. 145
The King's Infantry Regiment 145
they carry the cypher of Kaiser Wilhelm II
The helmet has a spike that un-screws to accept
a black hair parade bush.
This is a regiment that I like .
I have 4 helmets to K I R 145
1. enlisted before the new wide winged eagle
2. enlisted with the wide winged eagle
3. felt enlisted with wide winged eagle plate
4. Officers helmet with wide winged eagle

I have the wide winged eagle plate 2 ways
both of which I feel are correct and original to the helmets
1. normal Grenadier wide winged plate
2. a Garde eagle with no star

Steve

Back to the question about felt helmets .
I just checked my enlisted Grenadier Regt. 7
felt helmet .
This is a regiment that takes a parade bush
However my helmet does not have
a spike that un-screws
I feel that the helmet is correct .
I doubt once they went to the felt helmet
they were thinking about parades .
Steve

Thanks for everybody's input in this,this is getting quite interesting.WW1 Collector,the picture I made of the extra holes is the grenadier one,the prussian one doesn't have extra holes,for the wappen,but holes in the "skull" due to rotting leather. Brian,today,when I get back from work I will take the wappen off,and look for impressions in the leather.I never took the wappen off before,I bought it like that. I also will check the 28 marking,with some moist to see if something else comes up. There's also a name inscribed in it,with a date underneath it,will try to uncypher it,maybe this will help in someway. Thanks again,have a nice day,Coert. :thumb up:

I'm back from work,and after some troubles with photobucket finally got my pic's there.I removed the wappen,but see no marks,other than the faint ghost of the grenadier wappen,maybe you see more than me.And I put some moisture on the 28,there's something next to it but I don't know what.Its impressed in the leather and painted black.Next to it,on the other side is a name,and what I always thought was a date is a number. By the way,the spacing between the grommets is 60millimeters,from center to center of the grommets. The name reads Schulze,and beneath it it reads 3/28.Thanks for looking,I look more now securely at my helmet,even had to find my old magnifying glass wich I still had from high-school, :)

I can except Grenadier helmets with extra holes
if all else looks correct . They started out with
the old FWR Grenadier plate
which would make the original holes closer
together . Then when they changed to the " new
wide winged Grenadier eagle , the holes would be further apart .
But I yield to anything Brian says because he has taken more helmets
apart to work on than I ever have .
If a man was in the regiment active duty when the eagle plate changed
they are not going to throw the helmet away and start over
However as I stated , everything else has to add up.
Steve

Back