EM’s OR N.C.O'S SAXON GARDE-REITER REGIMENT WITH PARADE-LION

Good God what a magnificent pair of helmets!! Ed you stole those two beauties from one of my " Haube Collector Dreams" !! Fantastic, congratulations :thumb up:

Great Saxon Garde Reiter helmet
and thanks for the great photos
and you showing the numbers

I had one years ago , but never took it apart
I had always heard about the numbers

Thanks
Steve

How did I miss this one? What a super helmet! I bet it was love at first sight when you spotted this one.

:D Ron

Yeah you could say that Ron, and also the “ I’m not letting go of this one ” feeling. :lol:
I have to pinch myself sometime to see if I’m not dreaming and it is really standing here .

Thanks gents for the nice comments.

Absolutely stunning! And for me not too polished at all.

For my knowledge, is the copper colour of the shell a coating over a base metal or the colour of the metal (Tombak?) itself?

Thanks Glenn ,
As far as I know ,
There was no coating over an EM helmet ,they made the tombak shine like gold , you can imagine the elbow grease that went in after a march in the rain.
The officer helmets have an extra gold finish, to polish that would be a shame coz the finish will come off.

Truly works of art.

I do not ever think I could own one of these and you have 2 .

Thanks for posting the pics and now I hate you .

:D

I have recently brought an Officer’s SGR. The nutsack of the lion has 7 stamped on it and the rear paw has 3 109. The lion is quite tarnished but a quick rub over to remove has lightly shined some areas. The shell is also very tarnished and needs a good clean with soapy water. Tarnish on the chin straps has started to affect the metal, so I figure a light clean is ok.

They are an amazing helmet and I consider myself quite lucky to have found one.

Back