Engraved EK First Class

ebeeby

I have an EK first class engraved on the back:

Gef. O Linz
35 F.A.R.

At first I thought it was Lanz but got my loupe out to discover my mistake. It is hand engraved quite obviously, but professionally.
In the useful site link thread I tried to find somewhere I could search for the records of this soldier but struck out (and mein Deutsch ist nicht sehr gut)

Anyone have a lead on how I can research this fellow?

Eric

Regarding the German Service Records. All personnel rosters and card indices (Stammrollen und Karteimittel) of the Prussian Army, the transition army ("Ubergangsheeres), the Army Reichswehr), and the Imperial Navy (Kaiserlichen Marine) were burned in an air raid on Berlin in February 1945.

Preserved are medical records of those soldiers who were being treated in military hospitals (Lazarett). The records, most with personnel roster extracts (Stammrollenausz"ugen), for those born from 1890 on are stored at

Krankenbuchlager Berlin
Wattstrasse 11-13
3355 Berlin

and for those born before 1890 are stored at

Bundesarchiv - Milit"ararchiv
Wiesentalstrasse 10
79115 Freiburg/Breisgau

Lists of Prussian and other German officers are generally available in book series with titles like _Rangliste der Koniglich Preussischen Armee. These books were published roughly annually since at least 1796; some have been reprinted.

Here is a useful site; http://home.bawue.de/~hanacek/info/earchive.htm

Obtaining German records is very difficult and sometimes futile due to the losses in the second war. Hope this helps, Tony

Back