Enlisted GdC or GKR helmet

verdun16

Dear Friends
I would like to share this enlisted GdC or GKR helmet
Bought many years ago from a friend collector here in Italy. I'm well aware the helmet is not the best in the world but everything is original to the helmet. Any unit marks under cockades so is possible a private purchase.

verdun16

Very nice, the tall spike would certainly suggest a private purchase helmet. However, we have an OR's liner...another haube mystery?

A very nice helmet and one I've always wanted on the shelf. It's not often that you see OR's helmes with spikes that tall. Makes for a more elegant look though.

Thanks for posting this for us.

Gianluca,
Was it difficult to resist the temptation of polishing it? For sure you did the right thing, leaving the patina intact. Very attractive helmet as it is.

I really never thought about cleaning this helmet. As I said i like helmet "dans son jus"!! I think this French expression if perfect to express the concept.
thanks again
verdun16

Well, with respect, I have to say that I would have had the helmet polished.

I know there are different schools of thought on this issue, but in my view I think the helmets should be displayed as close as possible to the condition they would have been in when they were on the parade ground. Picklehaubes ala 1895 were meant to be dazzling. So I will gently polish (taking care not to touch original gilt etc.) the metal fittings periodically. Maybe once every 5 years or so.

That's just my personal perspective. "Suum Cuique"

Steve Nick said:
Well, with respect, I have to say that I would have had the helmet polished.

Oh come on folks! I was hoping to spur some sort of contrary position conversation :)

I like to deal with this cleaning discussion by simply saying....if you own it then you decide whether to clean or not to clean. For myself, if I have the fittings off then I like to clean everything once. I agree that originally, they were meant to shine and impress people.

That is a marvelous Metalhelm. Superb patina. Beautiful.

I admit I have cleaned mine years ago. No more :pale:

dbt01g.jpg

Congratulations to Verdun16 & Tony for acquiring such beautiful helmets, and thanks for posting them! :thumb up: =D>

Best Regards,

Alan

thanks Alan for your comment.
Leave the helmets as found or clean them are only two ways of seeing the collection
all the best
verdun16

Back