Enlisted GdC Restoration

skelts1974

Ok so I have been working on this next project since June. I brought the shell off a member of this forum and tracked down the remaining parts from Germany and France. The wappen is the 1867 varient with the added bandeau rather than the latter one piece varient. The chin scales are rebuilds - unfortunately the Cameron used brown leather for the backing. The kokardes are original, the national kokarde is the M98 varient - I have not been able to track down a national cuirassier kokarde with the small mounting hole at this stage..... Does anyone have one they would be willing to part with?

Personally I am not sure about the bosses on the chin scales, but again they were all I could track down.

Oh, no photos of the liner at this stage, but needless to say that it looks amazing and is a replacemeant. The shell has the A. klucke makers mark, with a size stamp under the wappen and G.D.C markings on the left side of the helmet under the kokarde. The shell is in very good condition with only a few minor scratches, but no dents that affected the shape. It has, at some stage, been repainted internally - with the paint looking a little too new and glossy for my liking.

Looks like you've tracked down some good parts there. I wonder why the chinstrap mounting holes were so far forward? Probably some reason I'm not aware of. #-o

:D Ron

Ron,

No idea. Maybe a quirk of the manufacturer. Another member of this forum has posted a similar Helmet from the same maker where the chin scales are mounted in the same fashion. I have done searches through the literature I have available and online and note that this is not the case with other manufacturers.

Regards

Steve

skelts1974 said:
Ron,

No idea. Maybe a quirk of the manufacturer. Another member of this forum has posted a similar Helmet from the same maker where the chin scales are mounted in the same fashion. I have done searches through the literature I have available and online and note that this is not the case with other manufacturers.

Regards

Steve

Interesting. One would think that moving the mounts forward the helmet would have more of a tendency to slip forward with the scales fastened under the chin. Maybe this arrangement worked better for people with a certain face / head / neck profile. :-k
Still a wonderful restoration!

:D Ron

Ok after 3 years of looking I finally have a matching set of correct rosettes for this helmet. I found the first during the initial restoration phase of the project but only found the second a couple of weeks ago.

These rosettes complete a three year odyssey and is one of my longest restoration projects (only beaten by my 1er cuirassier helmet and cuirass restoration that has been going for over five years).

Your in collecting

Steve

Looks great! Have you considered using some black leather dye on the chin scale backings?

Back