Ersatz-Abt. Feldartillerie-Regiment Nr. 47 - Photos Needed

ph0ebus

Hi all,

I just learned that my grandfather spent at least a part of his tenure in the German Army as a part of the Ersatz-Abt., Feldartillerie-Regiment Nr. 47. I now know he was shot while a part of Ersatz-Abt.,FAR 47 on September 23, 1915; I am hoping to find photographs of his unit as well as to learn where he was wounded from the Unit History. Would anyone happen to have a copy of the Unit History that could see if he is listed? His name is Emanuel Stern, and his rank was Kr.Frw. If you need more information please do not hesitate to ask.

Thanks,

-Daniel

Daniel I do not have the unit history and will have to look for the picture. I might have it, but I have so many I cannot be sure. As my son said. Organization is key, if only I had listened to him earlier on.

I'm a bit surprised that he got shot in an Ersatz unit. These were designed to be replacement units, and almost always if not always stayed in Germany when the units deployed. Most of the group pictures that you see , with an NCO leader were taken while soldiers were training in an ersatz unit. How did you determine this? It's interesting.

Hi Joe,

I got the information about his tenure in the Ersatz Regiment from my grandfather's German Army medical records, which I just got from LAGeSo in Berlin. They span his enlistment date until his discharge from a Field hospital after the second time he was wounded, in October 1916. The pertinent entries, translated from German, are as follows:

10.07.1915 As capable of serving, dismissed to II. Ersatz-Abt., Feldartillerie-Regiment 47, Fulda. (he had just recovered from Typhus)

23.09.1915 From the Reserve Military Hospitals Kalisch, War Volunteer comes from the 4. Batterie, Feldartillerie-Regiment 47 to the Reserve Military Hospital Fraustadt/Posen, wounded:

-Shot through the left lower leg

My understanding, from what I have read, is that in July 1915, the Ersatz-Abt., Feldartillerie-Regiment Nr. 47 was a part of the 10th Ersatz Division, which was stationed in France near Lorraine along the Western Front, in the areas of Loupmont, Seicheprey, Lahayville and Mort Mare Wood. I am assuming that this is where Emanuel was shot.

Perhaps I am misinterpreting what is in the record? If you want me to post the original entries in German, let me know.

-Daniel

Hey Joe,
I think the ersatz divisions must have seen action, I have a pile of post cards sent by an NCO of an Ersatz Division who was captured in 1915. Unfortunatly, I have not gotten any enlightening information from his cards, as mostly it is greetings and longing for home.
Bes twihses
Gsu

I think the ersatz divisions must have seen action

They did! But this is something completely different. This is not an Ersatz division, nor is it a brigade Ersatz battalion. So far most everything is tracking. For some reason there was no 1 Ersatz Abteilung for Field artillery Regiment, 47. They only had number two. This is a replacement organization located in Fulda. Daniel, we need to check the date was the second year, 1915 or 1916? The way it looks to me and I could be totally wrong also. But it seems like he recovered from typhus and was sent back to the Abteilung to be retrained on the latest equipment and techniques. That was very normal. In the American army it used to be known as being re-greened. Once the training was over he was sent to the main Regiment at the front. then it seems like he was assigned to the fourth battery Field artillery Regiment, 47, wounded, and then sent to a hospital. The information I have has the regiment in the 22nd infantry division for the 1915 date, but it moved to infantry division to 225 in August of 1916. Looking all this stuff up is a lot of fun!

Hi Joe, all...

The dates are correct. He joined the army/was mobilized on November 3, 1914, was assigned to II. Abt. leichte Munitionskolonne, Reserve-Feldartillerie-Regiment 57, and in March 1915 contracted Typhus. Four months later, (July 10th) discharged to II. Ersatz-Abt., Feldartillerie-Regiment 47, Fulda (his hometown). On Sept. 23rd, 1915 he was shot in the leg. Released from the hopsital November 2nd, and assigned to Feldartillerie-Regiment 43, 4th Battery, where he stayed until wounded a second time by poison gas on October 17, 1916 at Vilosnes, on the outskirts of Verdun. Stayed in the hospital 2 weeks and was returned to the 43rd FAR, but to the 9th Battery. As far as I can tell, he was with 9th Battery of the 43rd FAR for the duration of the war. His medical records have no entries after October 31st, 1916.

Insight, comments would be most helpful.

-Daniel

Hey Joe,
The fellow of whom I write was actually an Unteroffizier in Ersatz-Batalion 80, which was part of Ersatz Division 8, he was captured in Priesterwald on 15. May 1915.
Best wihses
Gus

Lots of comments, some of which might be useful. In artillery units battalions were often called Abteilung. yes it's the same word is used to describe detachment and can cause some confusion. Normally a regiment would have Ersatz battalion but as you have seen in the case of the 47th the ersatz Battalion was called Abteilung. The regular second Abteilung, provided the cadre for the formation of reserve Field artillery Regiment 57. Therefore it's very likely that your grandfather found his way to the 57th, which was part of the Reserve 75th infantry division, through the 47th originally based on him living in Fulda. When he returned to the 47th that was part of the 22nd infantry division. Both of these organizations on the Eastern front against the Russians during the time in question.

His rank as Kriegsfreiwillige basically means he was a volunteer for the duration. He was not drafted. Perhaps this passage from the upcoming book might be of use.

During the war a large number of young men between the ages of 17 and 20 were allowed to volunteer for active service before their class was called up. In 1914 there were large numbers of these volunteers and they included some men over the age of 20 were in the untrained Landsturm. These men had been released from their peacetime obligation but volunteered anyway. There was a significant falling off of this number by 1915 and estimates were that approximately 5% of the later classes were volunteers.
The exact number of these guys is somewhat controversial. The number 1,300,000 was repeated in several newspapers including the government’s unofficial voice. This number has been repeated and copied from book to book for quite some time. It seems as though that number was vastly exaggerated. Prussia reported that 260,000 had attempted to volunteer, but only 144,000 were accepted. There were 32,000 for Bavaria, Württemberg had 8600, and about 10,000 for Saxony. This makes the number about 185,000. This was a classic example of the press building up the enthusiasm for the war. The newspapers claimed that these came from all social classes, but the evidence that exists from two regiments, shows the working class represented by 33 of 413 in an artillery regiment and 64 of 450 infantry regiment. Students and the bourgeois were heavily represented.

Hi Joe,

So, I am a bit confused. So, he was not with the 10th Ersatz Division, in France when he was shot? He was treated in the Reserve-Lazarett Fraustadt/Posen, which is was in German hands then but is presently in Poland, so that seems to fit with what you are saying.

It also seems you are saying that perhaps when he joined the army he started with the 47th FAR, then moved to the II. Abt. leichte Munitionskolonne, Reserve-Feldartillerie-Regiment 57, then back to the 47th?

I really need a copy of "Organization of the Imperial German Army for Dummies", I think. :)

-Daniel

It also seems you are saying that perhaps when he joined the army he started with the 47th FAR, then moved to the II. Abt. leichte Munitionskolonne, Reserve-Feldartillerie-Regiment 57, then back to the 47th?

Yes I think it's quite probable. That is based on an assumption that he volunteered for a second Abteilung 47. Was transferred to the RJR57. Got typhus. Then back to the replacement organization, in his hometown. Of course none of this is absolute. This is just my best guess. This is a great look up opportunity and I will definitely look at the pictures tomorrow. I hope you don't mind my kibitzing. :) :) :)

Hey Gus that make sense Ersatz-Batallion 80 is a Brigade Ersatz Battalion.

Okeydokey Joe, I am trying to get better internet service, and when I do, I will get a few of these cards posted where every one can get a chance to critique my transcriptions.
Best wihses
Gus

Hi all,

Resurrecting this thread from the dead with a question regarding a lead I just found. Can you have a look at the link below and see if this is indeed the correct Unit History for my grandfather's unit (when he was with Ersatz-Abt., Feldartillerie-Regiment Nr. 47?

http://nla.gov.au/nla.cat-vn2106509

If it is I will try like heck to get a copy. Feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-Daniel

Back