Ersatz Bayonet #56 with MG Unit Markings

ww1czechlegion

Here's a bayonet I literally stumbled onto last October. Unfortunately I don't have the Carter Bayonet Reference books, but this one is apparently Ersatz Bayonet #56, from what I understand.

Unit marked: 1 E. M.G. K.XIII.A.K. (if I am reading the markings correctly).

I haven't tried my Evaporust product on the scabbard yet. From my experience with the product it looks like the small area of rust build up should come off nicely, and most likely there is no pitting to the metal underneath.

One side of the blade is a bit odd, as the black area on the blade almost looks like some sort of very thin plating has worn off from the steel. Any thoughts on this?

Best Regards,

Alan

That is spectacular! A very nice piece indeed , I would love to find myself some MG marked items!

Cheers
Andy

That's a really nice bayonet Alan! If you ever get tired of looking at it, please let me know :tongue: ...

Adler 1

Thanks Andy & Karel for your very nice comments, I appreciate it!

Yes Karel, I will let you know if I decide to part with it. :)

Best Regards,

Alan

Thank you for your nice comment and excellent question Westfront, I appreciate it!

By member Westfront
are the markings meaning 1.Ersatz Machinenengewehr kompanie 13th Armee Korps ?

Yes, I just learned about the 13th Armee Korps portion of the markings today from Chip M. on another forum, German Helmet Walhalla.

I also learned the following from Michael Hasselgrove on the that same other forum:

By Michael Hasselgrove on German Helmet Walhalla forum:
I agree it is an EB 56. In respect of the EB 56 Carter in German Bayonets Vol.3 page 132 comments:

"Although very few can have been produced, five examples have borne the same marking of the 1st Machine Gun Training Company of the XIII Wurttemberg Army Corps based in Stuttgart. One bayonet was also numbered 667 on the opposite side. It is possible that this type was made in Wurttemberg and used solely by that state's troops. The only photograph found also shows the bayonet being carried by a soldier of the 122nd Fusilier Regiment (4th Wurttemberg)."

In Vol. 4 Carter gives a little more detail as does Christian Mery in German Ersatz Bayonets During World War One.

Regards,

Michael.

Best Regards,

Alan

Back