Ersatz felt helmet with different , strange liner

KAGGR#1

I am looking for opinions about this tan liner inside of this ersatz helmet .
All the ones that I have seen ( which are not that many ) have black liners .
I ask if this liner is a reproduction ?
Feedback please
Thanks
Steve

Ersatz inside.jpg

Steve, that liner imo is a fake.

I have brown liner in few of my ersatz but they are really thin liner. This one that you had showed had the liner that is too thick and it is not sitting properly in the helmet.

Liner is original, and the liner is damaged. It's a typical J. Bambus & Company helmet shell and corresponding liner like I would expect to see in a J. Bambus & Company shell. Liner is an original typical light brown color, 9-finger or "tongues" as we see in the J. Bambus & Company felt ersatz helmets normally. Sometimes they also used a black color liner in the J. Bambus & Company felt helmets.

The reason the original liner in this helmet looks strange is because at the 2 o'clock view there is a piece of the liner that is either cut out or damaged and missing between the fingers. I see wear and use on edge of the leather liner where it meets the edge of the helmet shell.

The helmet shell is typical J. Bambus & Company mfg, and the liner looks to be typical J. Bambus & Company mfg as well.

The liner looks to me like it might be maker marked "J. Bambus & Co." on the 12 o'clock area of the photo of the liner. I currently have an unmarked felt J. Bambus & Co. helmet in my collection, and unfortunately I used to have one of these that was maker marked on one side of the leather liner above the ear area on one side. It looks like this one might be maker marked in this area as well, as they sometimes are by J. Bambus.

Steve: Ask seller for a better photo of that 12 o'clock area in the liner that we can't see very well due to the angle of the photo.

Best Regards,

Alan

Last edited:
Quite seriously, if the price was right and the outside was good and the helmet interested me, I wouldn't care if the liner was replaced or missing. However, it's good to hear Alan's assessment.

:D Ron

I'm with Alan on this one. The brown liner may be unusual but that doesn't make it incorrect. I wouldn't rule this helmet out based solely on the liner.

Some photos of my Bambus for comparison:
IMG_1914.JPG
Obviously a black liner with typical braided cord through the fingers. Marked in pencil to A Mueller. The fold over and stitched rim is the most prominent characteristic of the Bambus Filz helme. Bambus has been discussed here previously and I believe we agreed on the fact that only this company produced this "fold over rim". The felt on this example is especially hard and stiff.
IMG_1913.JPG
Another unique Bambus characteristic at least in my experience, is that the liner is only "tack stitched" to the shell. All of the other filz helmes that I have in my collection or have handled have a solid stitch line holding the liner to the shell.
IMG_1915.JPG
This photo shows the tack stitches along the crease of the shell and the solid stitch line along the fold of the rim.
IMG_1916.JPG
I have had this helmet for 25+ years and the Baden came with it. I should probably take it off and shape it so that it fits better. There is an easy way of doing this as shown to me years ago by one....Tony Schnurr. I will probably do a post on this in the resto. section.
IMG_1917.JPG

Thanks to Alan and Brian and all other feedback . I had ruled it out as a helmet to buy .
Now I am not so sure .It has nickel silver trim , so it could be a Pioneer
IF I get it , I will post more photos .
Thanks
Steve

What Alan said.

Well observed and explained Alan.

Brian, every Bambus I have owned or seen had a factory machine sewn tan liner. The tacked one you have might be a replaced liner? Who cares though, I love Baden anything. Great helmet.

Steve you might wish to compare the one you are looking at to this one: https://www.kaisersbunker.com/feldgrau/helmets/fgh26.htm

(This is my favourite Ersatz helmet)

fgh26b.jpg

Last edited:
Tony ;
Your helmet is far superior to one that I am look at ( liner part for sure )
I know that you have a good "feeling" about helmets
and you also have a great eye
so, please lay it on the line
I do NOT own the helmet
what do you think ?
This one is sure not like yours
thanks
Steve

Steve I agree with Alan. I see a perfectly fine rolled edge Bambus , with a rather small and insignificant piece of the liner missing.

Since we have talked about the inside liner , I thought that I would post a shot
of the helmet for comments .I am not sure at all about the chin strap.
SteveSilver trim.jpg

I can not see much Steve, do you have the link to it?
So I can zoom in to the other pictures?
I am not a bidder by the way.

coert ;
It is not an on line offer .The offer comes to me from a private collector
that I have known for some years .What I post is all that I have .
I do have other views .
Steve

An auction of WW1 militaria took place today in Soissons, France. I noticed the liner of this felt artillery helmet, which looks similar to the one that started this discussion.

164311_733161358_2bba809b13998b34495df1730e45b36c.jpg

No Steve, I did not try to win anything. No bid. There was a lot of good stuff, but nothing for me. It was interesting to observe the market tendency though. Those who predicted that Pickelhaube prices would drop should think twice...

Back