Ersatz Helmets Bruno Sturm Co Part 1 Translation A Meldahl

Anthony Charles

View attachment 1View attachment 1Hello everyone. I am writing some articles on Ersatz Pickelhauben to post on a Flicker account. I'll be using quite rare original German documents from 1914 - 1916 on ersatz spikes/shakos.

I thought I would go ahead and publish my original German documents and my translations. I obtained these doing research in German archives n Munich and Stuttgart in 1990. I had shown these to Joe maybe 4 years ago. I'll try and figure how to attach the original douments..some things on this site seem to challenge my computer know-how!!

These help to give collectors of ersatz spikes a better understanding about some of the manufacturers of these spikes, what (models..which specific ersatz materials they using quantities and when. Of great interest is the wear trails done by German Army units with ersatz spikes and the results from field trials (usually quite poor!). Hope this info may also help any futuer writers who want to write more on this topic.

PART I Intro and Translation Document 1.

German Ersatz Spike Helmets by Anthony C. Meldahl.

Feldgrau felt spike helmets were first were produced for German troops in China, the East Asian Expeditionary Corps, then experimental versions were subsequently produced for uniform wear trials by the German Army between 1905 and 1908. I will deal with these in subsequent articles. Most collectors think of the typical felt, cardboard and tin spike helmets, shakos and busbies which were produced in wartime as ersatz, that is as made of cheaper less durable materials to replace dwindling stocks of leather. I will post several original prewar and wartime documents that deal with ersatz helmets and prewar felt helmets they evolved from , translate and discuss them in order to shed some light on this topic.

If anyone has any hats/helmets made by Bruno Sturm Co I'd be grateful if you could take photos of the piece and the markings and post them to help illustrate this document!!

1915 letter from the Bruno Sturm Company of Guben, Germany. Of interest here is the variety of gray, feldgrau and graygreen dyed and lacquered felt spike helmets and shakos produced by this one firm. I’ll translate the significant parts:

1. Bruno Sturm, Guben, May 6, 1914, BayHStA Abt5. IV (44033/15)

Bruno Sturm Guben May 6, 1915

Subject: Chaplains hats

Hand written note to a Bavarian Army Corps, dated May 6, 1915: “Chaplains hats are in stock and priced at 4 Reichsmark each.

We now have in stock available for immediate delivery post paid Chaplains felt hats for 4 Marks. Signed Bruno Sturm
Page 1, stamp on bottom: “Wool and hair felt (spike) helmet of all types. Bruno Sturn. Hat Manufacturer, Guben” and bottom left: “ Accessories. Cockades of all types for hats and helmets, leather chin straps, Belts and buckles for Youth Defense Force (Jugendwehr). Armbands, all types of insignia, cap bands and liners, letters, feathers and large selection of hat ornaments. “

Page two advertisement with depictions of five ersatz spike helmet varieties and a tropical (pith) helmet.

Helmet Department

Painted Spike Helmets and Shakos (felt)
Ready to complete with fittings
a) painted black
b) painted gray

Complete Helmets and Shankos:
a) Wool felt body spike helmet, field gray with front visor trim and rear helmet spine
b) Hair felt wool ersatz helmet, field gray with front visor trim and rear helmet spine
c) Wool felt spike helmet painted with black lacquer paint
d) Wool felt spike helmet painted with gray lacquer paint.
e) Wool felt shako dyed back, complete as depicted
f) Wool felt shako dyed field gray of gray green (field green)
g) Hair felt shako dyed field gray or gray green (field green)
h) Wool felt shako painted with black lacquer paint
i) Wool felt shako painted with gray lacquer paint

Chaplains hats
Made of gray wool felt with a violet cap band
a) without leather liner
b) with leather liner

Dear James and Ron

Good to hear that someone takes an interest! I was about to throw out all my research papers then I thought, maybe someone will take an interest in what I have. Found out I have cancer and undergoing chemo, trying to eliminate all the clutter in my office an dget my affairs in order!

Best wishes Tony.

Back