Ersatz Kürassier Metallhelm

Lost Skeleton

If the subject is Ersatz helmets made of tin, the most unusual example is, arguably, the Kürassierhelm. After all, prewar and M15 Metallhelme were steel, and, beyond the liner, not dependent upon vast quantities of leather for fabrication. However, the tin Kürassierhelm benefitted from a greatly simplified construction, thereby conserving both time and material.

P1010943.jpg

P1010944.jpg

Unlike conventional Kürassier helmets, the shell of the Ersatz tin consists of just three pieces: the neck guard is a single stamping with faux articulation and brads, the dome, with its faux spike base and brads, and the front visor. The helmet and Wappen were painted a uniform shade of green. The spike is static. The spike cone and Knopf 91 are brass.

P1010946.jpg

P1010945.jpg

The liner in this specimen has seen better days. A "wool" skullcap, identical to the type found in tin Pickelhauben, originally provided a buffer between the tan liner and tin dome. Traces of this padding remain where it was attached to a cardboard ring supporting the liner. The liner itself is retained by two large washers and the Knopf 91.

P1010947.jpg

Prior to this acquisition, I had handled only two similar helmets. Both of these were stamped "8. J. P." on the neck guard. Mine is unmarked.

Chas.

Hi Tony:

Thanks. The helmet arrived Friday via an eBay auction that ended last Tuesday.

Could you persuade ErsatzBoy to post a few pictures of his?

Chas.

Bruno contacted me recently via PM and e-mailed the following pictures:

911car said:
Here is another one, slightly different from yours. It has the correct
Kurassier eagle though. I still have some doubts about it and I always
wondered if it might be a copy... Do you know if reproductions of this
model were ever made? Feel free to put pictures on the website if you
feel like.

Picture1489.jpg

Picture1487.jpg

Picture1491.jpg

Picture1492.jpg

Picture1486.jpg

I am not aware of reproductions of the Ersatz Kürassier. Original helmets are so rarely encountered, one would expect to see a repro in abundance. As for the genuine article, I saw one at the SOS in 2006, another was available through Malcom Fisher's Regimentals and is now in a private collection, and mine.

Based on the photos, I can see no reason to fault the helmet itself, but I would like to know more about the paint and black liner. Overall, the construction and singular qualities imply nothing more (or less) than a different manufacturer. The presence of the Kürassier eagle also lends weight to my opinion. I have an M15 Lachmann, a 1916 dated Schulz & Holdefleiß, and, now, the Ersatz, and none have that special bird.

If only Peter would supply a few pictures of his, we'd know a little more. :wave:

Chas.

Lost Skeleton said:
If only Peter would supply a few pictures of his, we'd know a little more.

I am going over to his place Friday night in an attempt to clean-out his beer fridge, so I will bring my camera and take some photos.

As for the helmet above that Bruno posted, except for that eagle (which looks very suspicious) the helmet overall appears to be the standard Ersatz pattern.

Why do you think the eagle looks suspicious Tony? For me it is the best part of this helmet! Real Kurassier pattern, undoubtedly original, prongs not re-soldered... doubtless.
Bruno

911car said:
Why do you think the eagle looks suspicious Tony? For me it is the best part of this helmet! Real Kurassier pattern, undoubtedly original, prongs not re-soldered... doubtless.
Bruno

Because I have never, ever, seen anything but a standard M1915 Line eagle on an M15 Kürassier of any pattern. And I am very suspicious of these 'chunky' eagles in general.

Tony & Kaiser said:
//I have never, ever, seen anything but a standard M1915 Line eagle on an M15 Kürassier of any pattern.//
Hi Tony:

For what it's worth, this is currently on eBay:

http://cgi.liveauctions.ebay.com/200A-1916-IMPERIAL-GERMAN-METAL-PICKELHAUBE-HELMET_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ28268QQihZ002QQitemZ120271971654

P.S.

Peter e-mailed pictures of his Ersatz. I'll post them here as soon as they're resized.

Chas.

This is Peter's (ErsatzBoy) Ersatz Kürassierhelm.

DSC01048.jpg

DSC01054.jpg

DSC01040.jpg

DSC01041.jpg

DSC01050.jpg

DSC01061.jpg

8JP.jpg

All three examples in this thread display unique characteristics, and, I would argue, represent different manufacturers. Below are left profile views. How many differences can you find?

Bruno:

Picture1491.jpg

Chas.

P1010963.jpg

Peter:

DSC01040.jpg

Tony.
Both 1915 models pictured in Reiner Herrmann's and Jurgen Kraus' books bear the typical Kurassier eagle in grey color.
Bruno

Well, just when I am feeling reasonably smug in my near-arrogant "seen it all" attitude, 'pop' goes that little balloon and I crash back to earth. You are correct Bruno; I have never even considered a steel version of the Kürassier pattern eagle Wappen until this week. I noticed the one in Jurgen Kraus' book is a Probe; is it possible that the 'intent' was to issue all M15s with this eagle, but that evolved quickly into the line eagle Wappen? Beyond the ones I have seen this week, I swear I have never seen these before??

Ken Greenfield has a "Probe" M15 Kürassierhelm in his most recent update. It also has the eagle in steel, but one has to wonder about that spike:

http://www.derrittmeister.com/productpages/04529.htm

Chas.

I had a good look at Peter's Fri evening, (early, before things started to get blurry) and the one interesting difference I noted that was although his shell is absolutely Ersatz pattern, the top spike base is a seperate piece as you can see in the photos. On Chas' and Bruno's examples the spike base and split brads are artificial and actually impressed into the helmet shell.

You are correct Tony. In fact I also have one that is identical to Peter's but I did not show it because it is in a bad condition and incomplete, but the spike base is indeed an added piece. The spike also has a different shape, less conical than the others.
Bruno

Back