Ersatz Metal Pickelhaube I’ve just won on Grenadier auctions...

michaelwwi

Hello all! I’ve just won this metal enlisted Pickelhaube on Grenadier auctions! It looks to be complete although the chinstrap is a little suspicious to me. What opinions do you fellows have? Hammer price was $850.

Attachments

• 8852DB19-F619-4A68-A50D-EF15BA8B499B.jpeg
    8852DB19-F619-4A68-A50D-EF15BA8B499B.jpeg
    167.2 KB · Views: 592
  • F7A55A7D-C675-43FC-A1FC-8F82C94C1904.jpeg
    F7A55A7D-C675-43FC-A1FC-8F82C94C1904.jpeg
    191.4 KB · Views: 592
  • D70F0D5B-B9E0-49E0-8B85-C880A27D3515.jpeg
    D70F0D5B-B9E0-49E0-8B85-C880A27D3515.jpeg
    261.8 KB · Views: 592
  • 0B15B4CA-7249-4E8B-A656-5FEF4E01963F.jpeg
    0B15B4CA-7249-4E8B-A656-5FEF4E01963F.jpeg
    179.5 KB · Views: 591
  • 6A8F689A-4215-4A54-8303-F8010D29F180.jpeg
    6A8F689A-4215-4A54-8303-F8010D29F180.jpeg
    313.2 KB · Views: 591
Very nice example, congratulations. I would agree, the chin strap looks to be a reproduction.

Congratulations, a fine ersatz helmet!
I am looking for some time to add a feldgrau example just like that to my collection.
I agree with the rest of our members, the strap is a repro, the kokarden too I suspect. But those can be found.

A nice helmet! :bravo:

Greetings, Coert.

Plus for all of members said I don’t like the plate, spike rivets have doubts too. And as I know all metall helmets have black undercoat.

I am very interested to hear what others have to say about the validity of the Wappen plate and spike rivets. From what I can see they are also painted feldgrau.

I think other then the chinstrap it looks good from the pictures. Here is one of mine. I think all looks ok IMO

Also someone mentioned tin, this is not a tin helmet but a Steel Ersatz, different then the Tin KIT helmets.

James

J.LeBrasseur said:
I think other then the chinstrap it looks good from the pictures. Here is one of mine. I think all looks ok IMO

Also someone mentioned tin, this is not a tin helmet but a Steel Ersatz, different then the Tin KIT helmets.

James

Thank you for these lovely photos of your steel Pickelhaube, but the helmet itself doesn’t look to be a one-piece steel helmet like yours does, it has separate visor pieces from what I can see. After doing more research and looking at illustrations from “Pickelhauben” by Johansson, this looks more like an earlier steel Pickelhaube that was repainted feldgrau in 1917, as his illustrations would suggest. Please correct me if I’m wrong I’m somewhat young and still learning but I don’t believe that the makeup of the helmet is the same as the later pressed steel variants...

Here is the illustration from the book I’m referencing.

Attachments

• 6569E50B-E1AB-479F-91AA-20C528F036D1.jpeg
    6569E50B-E1AB-479F-91AA-20C528F036D1.jpeg
    970.8 KB · Views: 488
michaelwwi said:
Your helmet and “from book” are absolutely different helmets. And your is copy of this on my opinion.

Leone said:
michaelwwi said:
Your helmet and “from book” are absolutely different helmets. And your is copy of this on my opinion.

I never said they were the same helmet the illustration references that these helmets were repainted feldgrau in 1917. Are you saying that you think this entire helmet is a reproduction?

The helmet James posted is a one piece helmet, but if you look closely, it was black, and repainted feldgrau later on. I used to own one exactly like that before, but mine was black, with regular m95 fittings and wappen.
It is not the same as your helmet though,
Bing-2.jpg
Like the one I have. (pictured above)
Only mine is black, but you can find feldgrau ones too. I can see nothing wrong with the wappen, maybe it was made, with worn out dies on which it was stamped.
I do not think it is a copy.

By the way, the picture you show of your reference book, is a picture of a kit helmet.
They are a different kettle of fish all together. And not the same as your helmet, nor mine or the one James posted, and I owned before.
So, you seem to have a Bing style helmet, like my Bavarian one, the one which James posted is a one-piece,but no trim around the front and rear visor, and then you have the Kit-helmet, which is the one in your book. They had separate front and rear visors, but they were attached to the helmet in a different way.

michaelwwi said:
// Are you saying that you think this entire helmet is a reproduction?

I’ll say it. Yes.

I would never have a helmet with any questionable characteristics in my collection. You mentioned that you were young collector. So here is some advice from an old collector. Never buy anything that you will have to explain when the day comes to sell it. Send it back and stick to ‘textbook’ accepted patterns. Also, “Pickelhauben” by Johansson is an old book that is fun to look at but it has limited value as a reference.

coert65 said:
By the way, the picture you show of your reference book, is a picture of a kit helmet.
They are a different kettle of fish all together. And not the same as your helmet, nor mine or the one James posted, and I owned before.
So, you seem to have a Bing style helmet, like my Bavarian one, the one which James posted is a one-piece,but no trim around the front and rear visor, and then you have the Kit-helmet, which is the one in your book. They had separate front and rear visors, but they were attached to the helmet in a different way.

Thank you very much for your insight! I’m glad we were able to pinpoint its make, I was rather confused on that. Other than the chinstrap I’m confident that this is completely original and I will likely search for a replacement chinstrap. Overall I am happy with the purchase and I’m sure it will display very nicely. And again I apologize for my lack of knowledge regarding variants, still learning!

Michael
I am always paranoid about collector winning an item and then comes on to the forum to ask for opinions. I think most members have seen how I 'lecture' a young collector for his action of getting the experts advice on this forum and sent to cancel his purchase on eBay.
Am glad that you are going to proceed to keep the helmet, as in fulfilling your bidding obligations.
Have fun in collecting.

HI FOLKS :D
Thanks to michaelwwi for posting his purchase. And to all the others for fascinating discussion points in this thread. I believe many will take the sage advice offered here and elsewhere on the forum and put it to their use in the future.
Best regards, :wink:
John

Sorry but i agree with Leone and Tony i also think this helmet is a reproduction , do you have pictures with the wappen removed and from the inside of the knopf 91.

Back