Ersatz Seebataillon Tschako

Hey Everyone,

I have been looking for one of these for years and finally got my hands on it. Fresh in from de-bay. Marked IISB, the painted eagle is so ugly it’s beautiful. It feels increasingly light and fragile. I have seen several photos of these over the years from other old ebay listings, to shots from conventions, but have never seen one with no traditional metal fittings for the chin strap. This one features a strap configuration similar to ones seen on cork “Palestine” Pickelhauben. It did come missing its National Feldzeichen. Thrilled to add it to my collection.

Cheers
Jay

Attachments

• IMG_3280.jpeg
    IMG_3280.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 49
  • IMG_3281.jpeg
    IMG_3281.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 47
  • IMG_3282.jpeg
    IMG_3282.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_3283.jpeg
    IMG_3283.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 49
  • IMG_3284.jpeg
    IMG_3284.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 50
  • IMG_5679.png
    IMG_5679.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 51
That is a very nice piece in excellent condition, congratulations.👍

Last edited:
Nice, I’m a fan of helmets of that construction. Would love to have one someday

thank you all! Before this one, I have never seen one in person. So I’m very excited to add it to the collection. As the seller pointed out on the listing, there are two pin holes on either side of the top. Any idea what these might have been used for? They are identical on both left and right side. They go all the way through the cork and inner liner.

Cheer

Attachments

• IMG_3277.jpeg
    IMG_3277.jpeg
    940.7 KB · Views: 14
thank you all! Before this one, I have never seen one in person. So I’m very excited to add it to the collection. As the seller pointed out on the listing, there are two pin holes on either side of the top. Any idea what these might have been used for? They are identical on both left and right side. They go all the way through the cork and inner liner.

Cheer
Air vents ?
Steve

Cheer
Here is a period pict. Normally, you find there a small metal ventilation dot with 7 small holes.

Philippe

marine infanterie regiment 3.jpg
marine infanterie regiment 3. bis.jpg

Here is a period pict. Normally, you find there a small metal ventilation dot with 7 small holes.

Philippe

View attachment 38818
View attachment 38819
Yeah, all of the other models I have seen have the vent with holes, or a mesh screen. Mine is the only one without. I'll post all the other examples I have been able to find. Thanks for the period photo. Best I have ever seen. He certainly doesn't look to be in good spirits. Given the circumstance, there probably wasn't much to be happy about.

Cheers!

Yeah, all of the other models I have seen have the vent with holes, or a mesh screen. Mine is the only one without. I'll post all the other examples I have been able to find. Thanks for the period photo. Best I have ever seen. He certainly doesn't look to be in good spirits. Given the circumstance, there probably wasn't much to be happy about.

Cheers!
No, this picture is of a burial of fallen comrades, note the crosses the men are holding, and the large ditch on the other side, with a priest and wreaths..

Hey Everyone,

I have been looking for one of these for years and finally got my hands on it. Fresh in from de-bay. Marked IISB, the painted eagle is so ugly it’s beautiful. It feels increasingly light and fragile. I have seen several photos of these over the years from other old ebay listings, to shots from conventions, but have never seen one with no traditional metal fittings for the chin strap. This one features a strap configuration similar to ones seen on cork “Palestine” Pickelhauben. It did come missing its National Feldzeichen. Thrilled to add it to my collection.

Cheers
Jay
Dear Jay,
what you showed us is a dream piece. Excellent condition and very nicely stamped. I seen it on ebay but it was not my moment. Congrats. Zeb.

Back