Estate collection of pickelhaubes for sale

Pure, you know that you are here for advice. Some members may give u honest advice while some will keep quiet.

Tony is a well respected member and he is honest with his advice. I disagree with you calling him names though I know he has a dxxk.

As James has suggested, your ebay prices are way too high and that's why the helmets are still there.

Pure65,
I too believe that your prices are severely high. May I suggest a different tack?
Here are a couple of websites to well known, and respected, dealers:

These dealers sell quality pieces, much the same as you have pictured. You might take a look at their sites and get a better estimate of what to ask for the items you are selling. There are several other dealers who, periodically, have extremely nice pieces, but they also have some that are "parts helmets" or are helmets less than grade 2.
I am sure other members can guide you to other websites for further comparison.

You will find that members on this forum are quite particular about the items they collect, and are willing to pay for pristine items --- within reason.

John

This is the type of stuff I don't understand about the internet. Why would you make a remark like that and not back it up? You wouldn't talk to me like that in person.
@pure65;
That is maybe because you don't understand internet!
If you would have done a bit of research you would have seen that Tony with out Kaiser is a very knowledgeable person, regarding this matter (and most probably, others too :)) who all ready shared his info all over the internet.
I would invest my time in it, if I were you.
Links would be easy to give, but not sure I am willing to do so, anymore....

Hello Pure,

I‘m sorry but I think the bust of „Emperor Wilhelm II.“ is not representing him.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/304128121979?hash=item46cf72dc7b:g:YhwAAOSwYdRgW8mt

Take a look to the details and compare it with other pictures of him…you will see that the parting of the hair is on the wrong side and the receding hairline is way too high, the bust is missing his medals and it has overall not really similaritiy with him.

I agree with my forum fellows.
The prices of the helmets on ebay do not reflect at all the market reality and are more a wish as something else. Alice in Wonderland? 🥴
Otherwise I always have personally some problems with people who only comes here to get help to sell their stuff or to use our forum to make some marketing (n) (n) Good luck to sell your overpriced stuff elsewhere! :sneaky:

Philippe
;)

Last edited:
I agree with you Philippe, 100%.
We are a collector group here, helping each other out with any questions about helmets. Or questions about the originality of other stuff like medals. And when a respected collector like Tony has his meaning about some things, I feel it not correct to call him a dick.
It is not what this forum is like at all. I for one would never do a thing like that.
We are all here to help.. and we all treat eachother with respect. This is just why I like this forum so much.
Just my 2 cents about this guy's/girls.

Regards, Coert.

I will only jump in and suggest to Pure65 that you need to understand there are a few ways to sell the collection. You can take it to an auction and they'll take 30 percent of the final sale price. You can go to a dealer but expect to get half the value - and this isn't a "lowball" offer as some feel. The dealer needs to make money. It is literally their job.

Or you can take the items to collectors. But in doing so you have to accept and even expect some criticism. Dealers and auction houses see a collection in bulk. Collectors see individual items and will nitpick each item.

Finally, as with many inherited items you need to accept that you literally paid nothing for it. I understand the desire to get as much as possible, but thanks to TV shows it has convinced everyone that this stuff is worth far more than it actually is. Many of us are serious collectors that spend a fortune not only these items but traveling to shows. I can't tell you how many items aren't sold, and the reason is simple... the price was just to high to find the buyer.

Some very sensible advice from a member who is not only a collector but also a well known militaria dealer and author Peter, thank you for your comments. The main thing P65 is that we never engage in personal insults here on the forum, not ever. I would also remind you that 90% of the people who would be interested in these pieces are here on this forum watching. The vast majority of the general public have no interest in these pieces, can not understand why anyone would collect them and certainly would not spend money on them. So, this is a very niche market to say the least. The helmets that you have listed are not that rare so no collector would pay $5K for one. This is not Craig’s list where we are out to gouge you or the family. You have been told politely, that your asking prices are too high.
You initially asked for help and to be educated, so let’s get back to that. The pilot badge in question and I, unlike Tony am not an expert lacks the crisp precise detail of the originals which were of jeweller quality and made by highly skilled craftsmen. The writing on the back, has also been crudely done, as if by a hand engraver that you would use to put your initials on your tools. The quality of 19th Century craftsmanship is just not there.

Some very sensible advice from a member who is not only a collector but also a well known militaria dealer and author Peter, thank you for your comments. The main thing P65 is that we never engage in personal insults here on the forum, not ever. I would also remind you that 90% of the people who would be interested in these pieces are here on this forum watching. The vast majority of the general public have no interest in these pieces, can not understand why anyone would collect them and certainly would not spend money on them. So, this is a very niche market to say the least. The helmets that you have listed are not that rare so no collector would pay $5K for one. This is not Craig’s list where we are out to gouge you or the family. You have been told politely, that your asking prices are too high.
You initially asked for help and to be educated, so let’s get back to that. The pilot badge in question and I, unlike Tony am not an expert lacks the crisp precise detail of the originals which were of jeweller quality and made by highly skilled craftsmen. The writing on the back, has also been crudely done, as if by a hand engraver that you would use to put your initials on your tools. The quality of 19th Century craftsmanship is just not there.
Thank you for this message Brian.

You know, only one person has actually reached out to me to give me information on the helmets I've listed and their opinion on what I should be asking for in pricing. Everyone else is mad because I called out Tony for being a dick. Who calls out an item like that saying it's an atrocious copy and doesn't elaborate? How is that useful to anyone at all? How is everyone defending that type of attitude? It was a dick move and everyone knows people simply don't communicate like that in person, it's just an internet thing because they can hide behind their computer screen. All I pointed out is how disrespectful it was, when he should have taken the opportunity to educate me in a respectful manor and tell me what was wrong with the piece, or my pricing. He did none of that. Go ahead and back him up but y'all know you'd be pissed if someone did that to you. If he can't tell me what's so obviously wrong about this piece then that tells me he doesn't know what he's talking about. Back it up, Tony, let's talk about what's so wrong with it. Approach me like you would in real life and let's actually discuss the particulars of this like men, not like children calling someone out and then hiding away.

I agree with my forum fellows.
The prices of the helmets on ebay do not reflect at all the market reality and are more a wish as something else. Alice in Wonderland? 🥴
Otherwise I always have personally some problems with people who only comes here to get help to sell their stuff or to use our forum to make some marketing (n) (n) Good luck to sell your overpriced stuff elsewhere! :sneaky:

Philippe
;)
Again, how is this useful information? I didn't come on here just to market and make some money off you guys, I came here to get educated on what I'm trying to sell. I posted some pictures asking for advice and was advised to try selling these items here, so that's exactly what I did, and you want to call me out saying you have a problem with that? Totally makes sense, Philippe.

Who calls out an item like that saying it's an atrocious copy and doesn't elaborate? How is that useful to anyone at all? How is everyone defending that type of attitude? It was a dick move and everyone knows people simply don't communicate like that in person, it's just an internet thing because they can hide behind their computer screen.
I will defend Tony as I count him as a friend and say that one part of this hobby you may not understand is that we must tread carefully when we state that something is a fake. While you may want more of an elaboration, the sad fact is that fakers learn from this wisdom. They make better fakes, which then can hurt the hobby.

You are new to the group, and simply showed up to sell items. Your motivation in "learning" is simply about value, not the history. For those of us here this isn't about the money, it is about the history of the items even if we invest considerable money on the items.

I will defend Tony as I count him as a friend and say that one part of this hobby you may not understand is that we must tread carefully when we state that something is a fake. While you may want more of an elaboration, the sad fact is that fakers learn from this wisdom. They make better fakes, which then can hurt the hobby.

You are new to the group, and simply showed up to sell items. Your motivation in "learning" is simply about value, not the history. For those of us here this isn't about the money, it is about the history of the items even if we invest considerable money on the items.
I initially posted on here to get information about one particular piece and stated that I had several helmets I had to sell for an estate. Again, I was advised by you guys to take a crack at selling them on here. I just want everyone to understand how ridiculous it is to call someone out for only coming on here to make money when it was you guys that suggested I do this in the first place. And the fact that you're saying you guys aren't on here to offer wisdom because it can hurt the hobby is just incomprehensible to me. If people can't tell me what's so fake about an item then they simply do not know what they're talking about in my book.

I am simply not interested in responding to infantile insults from people like you. I’ve been shot at enough times to know that life is too short.
That's funny when you're the one rudely calling out items as ridiculous fakes and simply walking away without offering even a little bit of insight as to how you came to that conclusion. That's literally the definition of infantile.

@pure65 , we all know what a fake is, and what not. I do not have all the knowledge like Tony has, most members don't even have that.
But you know, together we stand strong, and collective knowledge is everything. This is how this forum works.
You should know that Tony is a very experiencent collector. With a very nice site on the web, where I learned a lot. My rest, I learned here.
From fellow collectors.
But you know, we also have some social rules here. Calling Tony a dick, or as you just said infantile, is not the way we treat each other here.
You can call me whatever you like, but for me, well, you have a long way to go before you reach the grown up status, needed to be a member here.
Which includes social behavior, reactions without swearing. Things like that.
Think about it, and let it sink in.

Rude ??????
You called the man a dick .
And you still are.
Sir you are no gentleman.
You should take a breath , take a humble pill and apologize before you alienate the whole forum .
Tony knows his stuff , don’t get mad at him for being short with comments about the medal .
accept his input and move on.
at this point people who are in the know about the item have shut down and probably will not give you the time of day.
You are still trying to justify yourself and you started the insults
look back and see that this is so

@pure65 , we all know what a fake is, and what not. I do not have all the knowledge like Tony has, most members don't even have that.
But you know, together we stand strong, and collective knowledge is everything. This is how this forum works.
You should know that Tony is a very experiencent collector. With a very nice site on the web, where I learned a lot. My rest, I learned here.
From fellow collectors.
But you know, we also have some social rules here. Calling Tony a dick, or as you just said infantile, is not the way we treat each other here.
You can call me whatever you like, but for me, well, you have a long way to go before you reach the grown up status, needed to be a member here.
Which includes social behavior, reactions without swearing. Things like that.
Think about it, and let it sink in.
Did I swear? I came on to this forum to get friendly advice, not to get called out for selling "fake items" with absolutely no explanation. This is literally the opposite of what you're saying this forum is about.

Back