Estate collection of pickelhaubes for sale

Rude ??????
You called the man a dick .
And you still are.
Sir you are no gentleman.
You should take a breath , take a humble pill and apologize before you alienate the whole forum .
Tony knows his stuff , don’t get mad at him for being short with comments about the medal .
accept his input and move on.
at this point people who are in the know about the item have shut down and probably will not give you the time of day.
You are still trying to justify yourself and you started the insults
look back and see that this is so
I calls em like I see's em. If you took an unbias look at this thread you'd see I was coming on here to get advice from so called experts, not to get attitude or called out for selling fake items with absolutely no helpful information to back it up. His response was rude, plain and simple, and goes against what you all keep saying this forum is about. I'm simply pointing out the hypocrisy. For you or anyone else to dismiss that fact is ridiculous. Again, only ONE person from this forum has reached out to me to actually give me any helpful advice. I'm sure Tony is a great guy, but he was rude and if you're rude to a stranger simply trying to get some friendly information and advice, you should be called out for it, no matter who you are. That's really all there is to this. If I recognize a friend of mine being a dick to someone for no reason whatsoever, I'll call them on it because sometimes they need to hear it. Don't take it personally when I'm sure he himself deep down recognizes that was a dick move, but won't admit it.

pure65, I tried to understand your reaction but I can't. Where could you see an insult, or even just disrespect, in what Tony wrote??? This is beyond me. He was not referring to you, but to an object that does not even belong to you! Tony's statement was blunt, for sure, but spontaneous and spot on. Are you so fragile that you cannot stand direct language?

When I started collecting, I was offered an officer Tschapka for sale. Being uneducated on the subject, I showed it to the late Didier Laine, one of the most famous collectors of Imperial German gear and author of books that remain among the best references today. A real gentleman, he was also straight and plainspoken. His answer was; "Your helmet is genuine, but what a piece of s..t!" (he was referring to the condition). Should I have felt offended even for a fraction of second??? I was amused by his candid reaction, and honored and proud to get advice from such a prestigious mentor.

As of advice, you posted this "Tschapka" and immediately two of us answered it is a fake, and explained why. What else do you want? You should be happy to have this resource so easily available. I wish you had known the time when seasoned collectors asked for advice would look at you with a grin and add "If you don't know what you are buying, don't buy".
As of prices, the subject may be slightly sensitive since there was some concern lately was some new members were considering the forum as a mere free appraisal site. Admitting online you know nothing about prices and advertising the items on ebay at the same time may not be the best way to go. Instead, you might have asked if some forum members could communicate with you privately about value. Many of us would have been happy to help you, without the bias of being professional dealers. Personally, I am not sure I would agree with the suggestion to consult with established dealers regarding prices...

pure65, I tried to understand your reaction but I can't. Where could you see an insult, or even just disrespect, in what Tony wrote??? This is beyond me. He was not referring to you, but to an object that does not even belong to you! Tony's statement was blunt, for sure, but spontaneous and spot on. Are you so fragile that you cannot stand direct language?

When I started collecting, I was offered an officer Tschapka for sale. Being uneducated on the subject, I showed it to the late Didier Laine, one of the most famous collectors of Imperial German gear and author of books that remain among the best references today. A real gentleman, he was also straight and plainspoken. His answer was; "Your helmet is genuine, but what a piece of s..t!" (he was referring to the condition). Should I have felt offended even for a fraction of second??? I was amused by his candid reaction, and honored and proud to get advice from such a prestigious mentor.

As of advice, you posted this "Tschapka" and immediately two of us answered it is a fake, and explained why. What else do you want? You should be happy to have this resource so easily available. I wish you had known the time when seasoned collectors asked for advice would look at you with a grin and add "If you don't know what you are buying, don't buy".
As of prices, the subject may be slightly sensitive since there was some concern lately was some new members were considering the forum as a mere free appraisal site. Admitting online you know nothing about prices and advertising the items on ebay at the same time may not be the best way to go. Instead, you might have asked if some forum members could communicate with you privately about value. Many of us would have been happy to help you, without the bias of being professional dealers. Personally, I am not sure I would agree with the suggestion to consult with established dealers regarding prices...
Hi there, 911car. Trust me, I'm not fragile or sensitive in any way regarding this stuff. I would have loved to hear an explanation from Tony regarding why he thought this was fake. You told me about one of the helmets being fake and you pointed out what tipped you off, that's all good in my book and I took the criticism no problem - that's exactly why I came on this forum, to get honest and direct information. Tony on the other hand, did not do that. He just laughed at the post and called it an atrocious fake with no insight whatsoever as to how he came to that conclusion. This is what rubbed me the wrong way. Be honest with me, how did his response help anyone? If he would have used this as a teaching opportunity to show me or us, what he saw and also inform me that the prices I was asking are far too high, I would have taken the criticism like I took yours about the helmet. It's that simple. I'm a no BS type of guy and I appreciated your direct reply, but I don't appreciate when people laugh about an item I'm trying to sell and not even point out why. I'm old school and that's a punk move in my book. I apologize for offending anyone, but I don't apologize for calling him out - that sort of reply is not why I came here and is not what you all say this forum is about. I'm a firm believer in treating people how you want to be treated and I doubt any one of you would have appreciated a reply like that with no backing.

Pure65,

You are here for an appraisal of originality and value so you can monetize an inheritance of pickelhauben. I'm fine with that, you clearly indicated that in your first post, and individual forum members can choose for themselves if they want to engage.

The ability to identify fakes, inconsistencies, helmets assembled from parts, etc., is priceless in this hobby, as it affects the value enormously. Here you get that advice for free from a collector community that arguably has a higher level of knowledge than any dealer. And yet, when that advice is provided in a way you deem insufficient, you feel entitled to call the person names, and demand better explanations. Please remember, this is not a shop where you pay good money to get your items appraised and valued, and even there it would be inappropriate to call someone names.

I'm a firm believer in treating people how you want to be treated
Luckily, nobody has treated you the way you treat people; have you noticed that nobody called you any names?

My advice would be to take advantage of the feedback provided here, and list your items for sale (on Ebay?) accordingly. A seller that sells fake items as original (even unwittingly) will lose some of the confidence of the buyers, and achieve lower prices on other items as a result.

Regards,

Lars

Pure65,

You are here for an appraisal of originality and value so you can monetize an inheritance of pickelhauben. I'm fine with that, you clearly indicated that in your first post, and individual forum members can choose for themselves if they want to engage.

The ability to identify fakes, inconsistencies, helmets assembled from parts, etc., is priceless in this hobby, as it affects the value enormously. Here you get that advice for free from a collector community that arguably has a higher level of knowledge than any dealer. And yet, when that advice is provided in a way you deem insufficient, you feel entitled to call the person names, and demand better explanations. Please remember, this is not a shop where you pay good money to get your items appraised and valued, and even there it would be inappropriate to call someone names.

Luckily, nobody has treated you the way you treat people; have you noticed that nobody called you any names?

My advice would be to take advantage of the feedback provided here, and list your items for sale (on Ebay?) accordingly. A seller that sells fake items as original (even unwittingly) will lose some of the confidence of the buyers, and achieve lower prices on other items as a result.

Regards,

Lars
If Tony or anyone else can't tell me what's fake about it, you guys don't know. I should just trust a guy that calls it out as a fake with no reasoning whatsoever? Right. He was being a dick so I called him a dick. If he wasn't being a dick, I wouldn't have called him one. You guys simply aren't willing to admit your friend was being a dick. Am I being a dick now? Sure am. But the fact remains he went against what this forum is supposed to be all about and decided to be a dick instead. Don't get so offended that someone is literally just pointing out the facts of the matter to you.

If Tony or anyone else can't tell me what's fake about it, you guys don't know. I should just trust a guy that calls it out as a fake with no reasoning whatsoever? Right. He was being a dick so I called him a dick. If he wasn't being a dick, I wouldn't have called him one. You guys simply aren't willing to admit your friend was being a dick. Am I being a dick now? Sure am. But the fact remains he went against what this forum is supposed to be all about and decided to be a dick instead. Don't get so offended that someone is literally just pointing out the facts of the matter to you.
Yeah, this forum is probably not a good fit for 15-year-olds.

Well that is enough. It was discussed amongst the moderators how long to let pure65 continue as it was interesting to observe just how bad someone's behavior can become, and he has not disappointed. This Forum was started 21 years ago to allow collectors to help collectors, to showcase recent finds and other enjoyable interactions. In those many years, we have never had to endure such a rude, demanding, ignorant, entitled individual as pure65. This person has no concept that help is offered when a sane individual requests it, not something to be demanded by a raving angry man with astoundingly thin skin.

The individuals he insulted repeatedly, have agreed to let this thread remain open, as that is how little of an impact his insults have had. In addition, his apparent fascination with male genitalia would be far better served on more appropriate web sites where he can find all the "dick" he wants.

If anyone wishes to buy anything from this individual, we would recommend that extreme caution be taken, as this person has shown his unstable nature.

He has been terminated and banned.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well that is enough. It was discussed amongst the moderators how long to let pure65 continue as it was interesting to observe just how bad someone's behavior can become, and he has not disappointed. This Forum was started 21 years ago to allow collectors to help collectors, to showcase recent finds and other enjoyable interactions. In those many years, we have never had to endure such a rude, demanding, ignorant, entitled individual as pure65. This person has no concept that help is offered when a sane individual requests it, not something to be demanded by a raving angry man with astoundingly thin skin.

The individuals he insulted repeatedly have agreed to let this thread remain open, as that is how little of an impact his insults have had. In addition, his apparent fascination with male genitalia would be far better served on more appropriate web sites where he can find all the "dick" he wants. If anyone wishes to buy anything from this individual, I would recommend that extreme caution be taken, as this person has shown his unstable nature.

He has been terminated and banned.
Thank you. His messages pissed me off a lot. For the first time since I am a member here. I am here 6 years now, but am used to all the help, and friendly messages between us all. Because we are all here, to share our latest additions, or help with any helmets on eBay, so all of us do not make mistakes. We all share the same hobby, collecting these old helmets, and things regarding WW1.
We are all here, for our pleasure. Being rude is not one of them.

Regards, Coert.

Not really being in the market right now, I only check this part of the forum occasionally. Good call, admin.. So, for something completely different, a photo of me with a late model M3 Stuart I was driving for the Patton Museum, along with the curator's niece, who was dressed in a nice 1940's outfit. My wife (our bow gunner) took the photo.

Cheers All!

Ron

Attachments

• P1100882.JPG
    P1100882.JPG
    723 KB · Views: 32
Not really being in the market right now, I only check this part of the forum occasionally. Good call, admin..So, for something completely different, a photo of me with a late model M3 Stuart I was driving for the Patton Museum, along with the curator's niece, who was dressed in a nice 1940's outfit. My wife (our bow gunner) took the photo.

Cheers All!

Ron

She looks marvellous. You look like a typical greasy oily Tanker. Yea! Ron we started a reenactment section on the forum, these images might be better served there? This has become ‘The thread of shame’. I wouldn’t want my photo on it personally….

I will only state that when someone is asking for a big chunk of change on epay, I normally keep on moving. If you can’t guarantee or stand behind your stuff, then it is most likely not something I want to take a chance on. Just my 2 cents from the cheap seats. ;-{ )

Back