Estate find

al8apex

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=13965&item=330025962878

kk1.jpg

kk8.jpg

Stu, that actually is explainable and could be legit. You see how the grommets are brass? The grommets should be steel for an M15 manufactured as an M15. However, brass grommets indicate that this was probably an M1895 with brass fittings that was re-worked by a Instandsetzungsamt (repair depot), a new M15 steel plate placed on by drilling new holes, and then issued again.

What Tony writes is confirmed by the fact that 1897 is stamped inside the shell, together with a regiment number. Such "recycled" former helmets are not rare.
Bruno

this helmet is going to Russia

I searched everywhere for a value on this and found several sites with less complete helmets and worse condition for nearly twice as much ageofkingsprussianMle1915wasone

interesting to note no one gave a hoot except my friend in Russia

I do not know if anybody on this site new it was yours???

The way you listed it, I just thought you where pointing out a helmet on Ebay.

The one on Age of Kings is marked to a rare regiment, thus commands more money.

$450 is a fare price, pretty much the going rate for these.

James

I also thought you were posting a helmet on ebay,not one you owned or were selling.
It probably will be enjoyed in russia.
MArk

al8apex said:
interesting to note no one gave a hoot except my friend in Russia

Looks to me, (always the shy one) that you joined and made two postings.

One to advertise this dirt-common helmet that you were selling :sleepy2: , and then the second to complain when no-one here jumped at it when we all have one.

:bs:

this one had markings on the inside too

I am glad someone will enjoy it

nearly 500 people viewed it on ebay

I have about a dozen of this type helmet and they all have markings of some kind, it is what the specific markigns are that can make the helmet common or not.

Not sure what you are looking for from us......

it is the most common Pickelhaube, and thus most of us already have one or more.

Glad you had over 500 lookers.....

James

Back