Et Tu Czech Republic?

poniatowski

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Prussia-Pickelhaube-Spiked-Helmet-of-the-34-Infantry-Regiment-/292121296302?hash=item4403c93dae:g:utcAAOSwGJlZHU82" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"From an old collection".... two years old?

:D Ron

Here is the link;
http://gmic.co.uk/topic/963-spiked-helmets/?page=4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I read the posts on the link provided, the seller was definitely "fishing" for information about how collectors knew that this was an obvious fake. :thumbsdown:

We're a rather small collector community here and once one purposefully destroys his (or her) reputation, it's difficult to recover. This guy is obviously flying his reputation full throttle into the ground. I'd be willing to bet that this won't be the last of him and that he'll continue to try to sell fakes. HOW he couldn't see the differences, given all of the wonderful examples offered on that site, then he'll probably keep slamming his fingers (or more painful parts) in the hatch.... as we used to say in the tanks.

I totally agree regarding our small community and reputation. I don't believe this guy is a collector, he's trying to make money using faked Indian repros, or perhaps he bought it and did not realise his mistake.

b.loree said:
I totally agree regarding our small community and reputation. I don't believe this guy is a collector, he's trying to make money using faked Indian repros. He's a thief and a poor one at that.

Either that or he got "stung" by another fake artist and he's trying to recoup his losses.
I got this impression when I read through the other thread.
We all get "stung" sooner or later. You just have to take it in the shorts and learn from it.
That is, after all, why we are on this forum.

John :(

That could be John. I have removed my thief comment. I think we do have to be very careful here on the forum when discussing why a particular piece has been made up or faked. No use in providing an education for someone who wants to sell a Fake.

b.loree said:
That could be John. I have removed my thief comment. I think we do have to be very careful here on the forum when discussing why a particular piece has been made up or faked. No use in providing an education for someone who wants to sell a Fake.

I don't think that you needed to remove the thief comment. This seller had his answer from the other website, so he KNEW it was fake when he put it up for sale. I purchased a Pickelhaube from England many years ago and I asked the seller for photos of the reverse of the Wappen, Inside of the liner, etc. He sent the photos but they were either blurred or did not completely show what I was asking for. I purchased the helmet and immediately saw that it was one of those British fakes that came out in the 60's and 70's. I could not contact the seller, he just disappeared. I put it on Ebay years later, advertised it as a REPRODUCTION, and recouped as much as I could (about 1/2 what I paid). It was a semi-expensive lesson, but a lesson none-the-less. I have been overly cautious ever sense, and that has paid off.
I don't know any collector, of anything, that hasn't been ripped off, at least once. In this guys case, he may have been deceived, but for him to turn around and try to do the same to someone else, well that makes him -----
A Thief!

John :ANGRY:

Also, the replicas can be fun for halloween and such... or if they're good to 'fill a gap' in a collection, but they're usually not good enough (I'd personally rather do without). I'd imagine there are some people who might actually collect the replicas.

Back