€12,500 for a haube!

Stu2067

I saw this and I am fascinated. Not with the price but the item.

Braunschweig Pickelhaube für Offiziere im Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 92

braunschweig7xc.jpg

skull3qu.jpg

This IR 92, officer's pickelhaube might be slightly over priced. When you have a look at the skull, symetry is lacking in my opinion. Weitze is offering an EM's busby leib-hussar for a huge price too. In my opinion it's over the top. At the last Kube auction, the 92IR officer's pickelhaube didn't get sold too!

I hope that Weitze has this one on the shelf for a long time!! That price is beyond reason. These dealers are obviously trying to "fish" the market looking for some sucker with too much money and too little brains. Brian

Brian,

I agree with you 100%.... anymore it seems that the German dealers (especially Herr Weitze) and the German auction houses that set HUGE opening bids (Thies) are doing nothing but trying to 'raise the bar' on the top end prices.

I'm not sure WHO will be able to buy this stuff anymore... I don't seem to see many young collectors getting into it as they can't afford it.

Cheers
Mark

I've said this before, but allow me to cry in my beer one more time :cry:

I remember going into an antique store in West Berlin in 1964-65 and the guy had 10-15 beautiful 'haubes on a shelf and he wanted $45 each for them!!! :eek: About $30 more, as a kid, than I could afford!!!! :crybaby:

I'm not sure WHO will be able to buy this stuff anymore... I don't seem to see many young collectors getting into it as they can't afford it.

Stu always brings up good points. I heard the bottom fell out of stamp collecting. High end stuff is going out of sight. Beginners must start slow. Big collections are going as older collectors age. Repros are getting better. Many people are very willing to rip off the young collector for $$. It is tough for a new guy and I do not know how to fix it.

The great dealers now, are not interested in the collector as continuity, their great objective is to do the maximum of money. They don't notice (or if they noticed, they don't care, in the anguish of easy money) that are "killing " the collector's comunity, they are killing his " chicken of the gold eggs. That is sad, very sad.
Otto

It is tough for a new guy and I do not know how to fix it.

The way to fix it (In a small way) is to educate interested collectors. Public viewers of this website are totally whitewashed with a wealth of experience and knowledge. Detailed posts regarding everything "Pickelhaube" are here for their learning. I consider myself a young collector and I have learned a great deal from these posts. I view Ebay and other sites for prices and I must say, some are absurd for the condition or the downright high price tag.

Stuart

This forum is an excelebt educational lessoon for new collector's and old ( I was a twinkle in my dads eye in 64-65).
An Older friend keeps harping on me penny cheap now pound expensive later. Even low and mid range haubes are getting up there .
I have learned a grat deal since I joined this forum. I am now collecting the unussual heddress.
To all the new guy's/girls collecting out there if you have dought Ask this forum for help.
Mark :)

It's easy to criticise dealers, Ebay and their prices, but in my experience spiked helmets have always been desireable, pricey items. I bought my first one in 1967 with $18 of hard earned lawn mowing ($1-$3 per lawn) money. I'd go to a couple of gun shows per year, and you might see 5 or 8 at each show, mostly Prussian M15s. There was no motherlode of them. Sometimes the dealers that issued catalogues (like Flayderman) had some, but there was nothing like the availability there is now. Cuirassier and Uhlan helmets (even m15s) were considered rare, exotic items. We live in high times for collecting. Yes, prices are high, but they always have been. The difference is, today you can surf the net and find almost any helmet you desire. I've seen more helmets on the net in 3 years than in I had in the previous 30.
It's only money.
Steve

I was in Paris last week and I saw in a military antique shop a GdK helmet and cuirass (the black model) set. Condition was okay; far from great. The price... 40.000 euro...

40,000 EUROS, Mein Gott!

I dont want to even try to convert that figure into U.S Dollars......Sheesh!

Stuart

Back