Excerpt from the Prussian clothing regulations 1888 - part 1: Acceptance and stamping

Sandmann

Dear fellow collectors,
as requested, I post again the excerpt of the stamp regulations again in an extra post:

§42, 3 (Acceptance and stamping):
1. Stamp (Regiment):
The items accepted by the regimental clothing commission will immediately be stamped with the acceptance stamp indicating the troop unit and, as soon as they have been found to be in good order during the inspection.
2. Stamp (Year): A second stamp indicates the year of inspection. In years in which there is no inspection (Musterung), the second stamp and the hand out to the battalions may take place by way of exception, but the pieces must be inspected as far as possible at the next inspection and only then put into use (§46, 4).
3. Stamp (Unit): When received by the battalions, they are stamped with a third stamp, showing the battalion's name.
4. Stamp (Year): When handed out to the companies, they are stamped with the year, as a sign that they have been put into use.
5. Stamp (Company): Finally, the pieces receive the company stamp,
6. Stamp (Garniture): and the garniture stamp (6th stamp).
Cavalry regiments and independent battalions are accordingly stamped five times.

Lars, would you please include your wonderfully stamped helmet here as well? It is a great example and very interesting to see (y) :)

Hi Sandy,
Of course, I really appreciate all the regulations that you're showing.

As shown before, an EM M95 Pickelhaube with all the correct markings:
  1. FR 39 (on the left, not very clearly visible)
  2. 1896 (accepted by regiment, this is before the Bekleidungsämter took over that task)
  3. 1.B. for 1st battalion
  4. 1896 when handed to 3rd company (according to the 18888 Bekleidungsordnung)
  5. 3.C. for 3rd company
  6. "I" Garnitur stamp
In addition size stamped 57 1/2 all the way to the right.

Regards,
Lars

FR_39 - Markings.jpg

Back