Fake or Restored?

umvoti

Hi all, I'm a newbie to the site and its been 1 week since I last bought a collectible. I have been collecting all sorts of militaria for many years and only in the last few years I decided to keep to one theme mainly WWI.

But the question I ask to others is when is that item a fake or a restoration project. In the time I have been collecting I have only been caught buying a fake twice, luckily enough I had not paid the price, basically the price for a replica so I'm happy to have them in my collection as the real deal is so scarce, that is until know.

Recently I have bought my first pickelhaube a M1895 with a Oldenburg Wappen, something I have always wanted to own and hopefully many more. After going over many well informed websites I came to a conclusion that my picklehaube is either a total fake or a partly restored pickelhaube using new parts. The leather shell, visor trim, spine, spike, and one chin strap stud all seem genuine. The chin strap and buckles are definetly new, the one chin strap stud does not match the other and seems crudely made and finally the Wappen (Oldenburg IR 91) is not original in my eyes. Although it is made of stamped brass, the final finish is fairly rough.
The liner shows age but the interior and visor trims has been painted at some point, either to give it an old look or for protection. The spike has 4 holes only. There are no visible makers mark or stamps.

I would appreciate anyones comments and put me out of my misery.

http://community.webshots.com/album/568944004sWwMoK

Many thanks

Bill

Hi.
It's a replica that's been aged somewhat.
Check it against known originals, like on kaisersbunker.com.
This looks like one of the helmets available from India.
Look for subtle differences in the shape of the spike, etc.
The liner may have had heat applied to it to mimic aging.

Regards,
Brad

I fully agree with Brad. This is a total fake from A to Z. I am really sorry Bill. If I were you I would be in touch with the seller shortly...
Best wishes,
Bruno

Thanks Brad and Bruno for your comments, I feel better now that I know its a fake, but yes it would have been even better if it was an original.

The good news is I did not pay the full price for an original, I paid the price for a reproduction. I'm on the hunt now for the real deal.

Back