Fascheinenmesserennnnnn

Larmo

blades2.jpg
[/url]
[/img]

Hi Guys this is more of a test than anything else, I'm trying to learn the ways of posting images from my pictures file from a non-scan scenario. This is an image my bride took for me (shame on me) that was posted on another forum.

At any rate they are sampling of four from our collection, the two on the right are marked to Saxon units (one to the 100th Rgt), the third is an all steel example from Wurttemberg and the last, a later model (but of a type used during the FP War) and unit marked to an East Asia Artillery Battalion.

I know little about these model-wise but find them fascinating in the extreme. It seems that every soldier equipped with a needle (or noodle) gun that utilized a socket bayonet, had one of these hanging from his belt. I believe some Foot Artillerymen were armed with these as their sole means of defense. It appears that with the adoption of the 1871 pattern rifle with its accompanying sword bayonet these were relegated to a somewhat secondary role.

Many date prior to the 1870-1871 war and some enjoyed an extended service life into the Great War. There are other hilt patterns that exist that I do not currently own an example of, part of the great search you know.

I really would like to learn more about these interesting sidearms and would ask the forum members for their advice and input.

Happy Sunday

Larmo

At any rate they are sampling of four from our collection, the two on the right are marked to Saxon units (one to the 100th Rgt), the third is an all steel example from Wurttemberg and the last, a later model (but of a type used during the FP War) and unit marked to an East Asia Artillery Battalion.

Not only am I adelpated photo-wise I seem not to know my right from my left. The text should read, ...the two on the left are marked to Saxon units....

:banghead: Larmo

Back