Faux Kugelhelm ... maybe

drakegoodman

An interesting picture I received a couple of weeks ago. I'm not sure whether this fellow is trying to give the appearance of wearing a Kugelhelm - which would be at odds with the Brandenburg cuffs, wouldn't it? :-k His Gew 91 with stacking hook was certainly issued to the artillery rather than infantry formations.

The sign reads "Erinnerung an den Feldzug 1914-15" but no clues on the back unfortunately.

Untitled-Scanned-03 by drakegoodman, on Flickr

Black piped Brandenburg cuffs and white piped shoulder starps? Most probably Fuß-Artillerie.

Regards
Glenn

How about the idea that it is a Kugelhelm, but an improvised cover mad by binding it around the ball point?

That does not look like a standard cover and btw it seems to be an ersatz helmet too.

nahaufnahme.jpg

Glennj said:
Black piped Brandenburg cuffs and white piped shoulder starps? Most probably Fuß-Artillerie.

Why do I always overlook the Fußartillerie :oops: . I think you nailed it Glenn.

Robert said:
How about the idea that it is a Kugelhelm, but an improvised cover mad by binding it around the ball point?

You might be right, I thought the "ball" looked too small and was just a tied off piece of the Überzug.

Some more Fussartillerie guys:

schwere-feld-haubitze_BW_001.jpg

If you are interested, visit, please, also one of their bases in the Alsace Sundgau near the Swiss border: http://pierreswesternfront.punt.nl/?id=553768&r=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; .

Cool photo Glenn, nothing to add regarding the pickelhaube but he is carrying a pretty scarce little rifle, a Gewehr 91 with its tell-tale stacking bar... :thumb up:

Larry

Back