Favorite Flea Markets?

poniatowski

For me, it's Berlin. A lot of cool old stuff other than military, as well as some military. I bought a nice Police Shako at one.... always wanted one from Berlin because of the history associated with it. :)

:D Ron

Peter_Suciu said:
I enjoyed the old time London and Paris flea markets and found items at each.

Can I find these just by asking for the old time flea markets, or are there specific locations? We're planning on London in two years, we hope.

:D Ron

Hi Ron--
In London the old Portobello Road market is still going strong. It is open every Saturday, and it is a combination of old antique shops and stands on the street. It is near Notting Hill.
http://www.portobelloroad.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The other was Bermondsey Market, which was really something to take in. I believe Thursday was the day to go, but I am not sure now. The area was redeveloped and the market went from massive to rather small. I don't know if that market is still worth visiting or not.

In Paris the flea market is huge. The only downside is that the outer streets are filled with stands selling t-shirts and bluejeans. My brother-in-law thought I was going to lose it but it didn't help that he kept saying, "I think this is all there is..." but I pushed on, made it to the center and if you are willing to explore you'll find some cool antiques. I bought a French sun helmet and some old books. It made my day.

PS

I recently moved back to New York... kind of. I wasnt collecting when I was originally living here, and now since its about to get warmer, Im wondering if there are any flea markets in the NYC/Long Island/Northern NJ area worth my time. Do any of you have experience with flea markets in the area?

For me Leipzig is my favorite. It, by far, is the best one in Europe now. Every month some folks travel pretty far to attend it. I have only been once a couple of years ago, and was shocked.

Being born and raised in NJ, the flea markets there were superb up until the early 90s for militaria. PA had even better ones. Might still yield some great stuff, but flea markets have been the dumping ground for fakes for decades now. So many think they are getting "fresh out of the woodwork" items, but some of the most crooked dealers at shows buy the fakes and take them to antique malls and flea markets now.

LangeKerl said:
Being born and raised in NJ, the flea markets there were superb up until the early 90s for militaria. PA had even better ones. Might still yield some great stuff, but flea markets have been the dumping ground for fakes for decades now. So many think they are getting "fresh out of the woodwork" items, but some of the most crooked dealers at shows buy the fakes and take them to antique malls and flea markets now.

NJ-PA are my area of operations - very little shows up here any more. Some of the markets in central PA will still turn up an item or two.

HenryTauct said:
I recently moved back to New York... kind of. I wasnt collecting when I was originally living here, and now since its about to get warmer, Im wondering if there are any flea markets in the NYC/Long Island/Northern NJ area worth my time. Do any of you have experience with flea markets in the area?

I lived in NYC for 18 years until 2010. Back in the 1990s the flea markets were amazing. Today the areas have been developed and most of the old markets are gone at least in the city. I don't know about Long Island or NJ.

In central NJ there is the Englishtown market (https://englishtownauction.com) and on the NJ/PA border there is the Lambertville market (https://gnflea.com). I have not been to either in quite a while, but the Lambertville market used to have some interesting stuff. I was born and raised in the northern part of the state which did not have much in the way of flea markets, but I remember finding some great stuff at garage sales back in the 90s. That being said, I hadn't been back until a few years ago. I stopped at a garage sale and asked if they had any old military items. The response I got was, "No, and if I did, I'd burn them." NJ seems to have changed a lot...

Lambertville, in the past did have some good finds. Got a US officer's spike there, some early US uniforms, and a set of Ulan NCOs cords.

Back