Feedback needed on my website: Researching a German Soldier

ph0ebus

Hi all,

I have put together a website to help novice, non-German-speaking researchers learn some of the tips and techniques they will need to start their research, and provide some resources to assist in that effort. Here's the link:

http://sites.google.com/site/ph0ebus13prussian/

Your thoughts, feedback and suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks,

-Daniel

Hi all,

42 peeks and no feedback? :)

I really want this site to be helpful, but as someone who is in the thick of the learning curve on German Army research, I am hoping someone more seasoned than I can let me know at least if anything there is incorrect or perhaps not as helpful as it otherwise might be.

Thanks,

-Daniel

Hi Daniel....I am no expert and have never tried to research anyone on the German side of WW1. However, from reading your site, I do feel that you have made an excellent start. You have numerous helpful links and advice. You have analyzed a postcard foto. I personally do not have further suggestions. I do think that other things or additions will come up but these will be the result of interactions and questions from those who are actually searching for information on particular soldaten. I do think that this is a great project for you to embark upon. Brian

Hey Daniel,
Things have been busy on the farm, and I have just gotten around to looking at your site, as I scrolled down through it, several suggestions came up, but they were all covered as I scrolled further.
You have done a very thorough job, and I can not think of anything to add at the moment, other than the comment that showing the Kaiser's Pickelhaube as an example of an Infantry helmet is not the best choice (in my opinion) an M95 or M15 would serve better for most cases. I would say the same would go for the Tschako, but I really had to stretch to find anything to comment on.
Great job
Best
Gus

Gustaf said:
Hey Daniel,
Things have been busy on the farm, and I have just gotten around to looking at your site, as I scrolled down through it, several suggestions came up, but they were all covered as I scrolled further.
You have done a very thorough job, and I can not think of anything to add at the moment, other than the comment that showing the Kaiser's Pickelhaube as an example of an Infantry helmet is not the best choice (in my opinion) an M95 or M15 would serve better for most cases. I would say the same would go for the Tschako, but I really had to stretch to find anything to comment on.
Great job
Best
Gus
Hi Gus,

Thanks for the feedback, and you win a prize for spotting the Kaiser: a bronze figligee with oak leaf cluster. :)

I will endeavor to find a better photo for the infantry helmet; can you tell me what it was about the Tschako that you thought merited it being swapped out?

Brian, thanks to you as well, for taking the time to have a look and let me know your thoughts.

-Daniel

Hey Daniel,
The Tschako you show is a rather rare example, and not many will be seen, compaired to the more common ones, and if I am honest, I am partial to the M1915 headgear. To be honest, if you do not change anything, I will still have to say it is a great job, you cover so much, with the help on script, and warning about taking family history for fact, it is a good place to start, but oral histories are often so far off the truth that they are often more problem than help.
Great work
Best
Gus

Hi Daniel: I actually thought about that shako as well. I would add pics of the most common types of helmets, tschapkas etc that would normally be seen in relatives' pictures. Anything more exotic could be tracked down with your help or a reference to this forum. Again, a great project in the works here, and I am crtain that you will get a lot of action on this new site. B

Back