Feldartillerie-Regiment Nr. 47 - Translation help??

ph0ebus

Hi all,

Just picked up this great photo postcard of my grandfather's barracks of FAR 47 in Fulda:

31636_1396964036787_1012819299_31135466_1995820_n.jpg

I was pleased to discover it had been postally used during the war; can anyone read what the writing says? There is no absender block, so I am not sure if this was sent by a soldier or not, but given it shows the barracks, I would think it might.

scan0001a.jpg

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. It may interest you to know the barracks have survived until the present day and have been renovated into luxury apartments.

Thanks,

-Daniel

Hey Daniel,
I will see what I can do with it later today, gee, you could have at least post it right side up:) (not to worry, I will save the image and enlarge it, as that helps with the script, especially when there are two messages on top of each other)
I would say it is not a soldiers letter with out reading it as it is not a Feldpost. It has the form messsage of a post card "I recieved you lovely card..."
More later
Gus

Hi Gus,

It is funny, they filled out the writing upside down! I have not seen too many vintage postcards where they did that, though I have seen some where they write in all directions at once...

I also see you noticed the writing in pencil that is perpendicular to the writing in ink. I have no idea what that might say.

Maybe it is one cadet's mom writing to another cadet's mom..."I sent him some warm socks and some bad food. " :)

As a total aside, if a soldier was on leave in his hometown, would he be required to send cards via feldpost, or could they go out this way?

Thanks a million in advance.

-Daniel

Hey Daniel,
Here is what I have so far.

Fulda, den 16. Juni 17
Liebe einsame Mutz!
dein lb (liebe) Kartchen heute
morgen erhalten u(nd) werde
ich es einrichten daß ich
Dienstag abend mit Agnes her
komme. Die Kohlen werden
doch hoffentlich noch solange
ausbleiben. Es sind die
?Schwindekohlen? u(nd) muß ich
unbedingst selbst richtig
verteilen, sonst gibst durch
einnander. ?Jatz? muß ?dran?
Mittwoch wiedere her. Alles
andere dran mundlich. Mit
den herzl(ich) Grüßen von uns
?dreien? an Euch alle dein
I am unable to make out the script that goes up the side.

The script over the top is

Grüß und Kuß auf
freuhes Wiedersehen
Euer Agnes ???

Interesting letter, is he admitting to his girl friend that he was out with Agnes on Thurssday night? and to make matters worse, Agnes send greetings and kisses?:)

It is addressed to
Fraulein
Luzie Steintsauer
Dermbach
Fuldabahn

ph0ebus said:
As a total aside, if a soldier was on leave in his hometown, would he be required to send cards via feldpost, or could they go out this way?

-Daniel

Good question, I think that they would have to pay postage. I can not find my book of cards, I need to look to see if the ones sent from home were stamped. Most cards I have were sent from the soldier, as the ones sent to the soldier were mostly lost.
Gsu

Hey Daniel
I can not say that everything is totally correct, but I am pretty sure of most, I do better if I have several cards by the same person, this is not the first I have encountered with two writers, one over the top of the other.
Best
Gsu

Thanks Pierre, all!

Can I ask people's opinion on what is purported to be a FAR 47 badge?

!Bvs8hIgEGk~$(KGrHqQOKnMEvyFryqulBMFoTI3kGQ~~_12.jpg

!Bvs8jhgBWk~$(KGrHqYOKiYEvv+I+Eq8BMFoTPiVgQ~~_12.jpg

There is some debate as to whether this is Prussian and of the Fulda FAR regiment or is perhaps Austrian...anyone have any idea?

-Daniel[/img]

This sort of badge is common to Austria units, that does not mean it has to be Austrian, but I would be enclined to lean that way. They were traded and collected by soldiers, and you can find many photos of soldiers with many badges on their cap, something that seems to be allowed by those in command, and it is easy to understand, as it helps build kamraderie amoung the different units.
Best
Gus

By the way, we do know that Agnes greets Luzie on the card, but she is not the writer of the main text, I can not read the closing of the main text, so I am unsure of the gender, but the assumption that the writer is a woman is a good one that I had not considered.
Best

Back