Feldzeichen

b.loree

Administrator
Staff member
Before the "hack" we had a thread devoted to feldzeichen. I never did post pics of mine so here they are. My apologies for the blue tinge to the fotos. Lt to Rt.... M15 Garde Shako, Pre war Garde private purchase shako, Reserve officer busby LH Regt1, Saxon busby HR20.

Feldzeichen005.jpg

Feldzeichen008.jpg

Brian, I find it interesting that you refer to the helmet t it came off off, rather than the pattern pf the Feldzeichen as I would. Just a different take on this I suppose. Here are some of mine, you can read the description here>>

http://www.kaisersbunker.com/pt/pt101.htm

pt101.jpg

I'm probably going to get turned into a toad for this but, "If yuh don't ask, yuh'll never know!"

Guys, I was quite serious when I raised the question about the colour of feldzeichen backings. As many of you know, I am slowly (painfully slowly) building up my pickelhaube parts business and I want to be sure that the pieces I offer to collectors and re-enactors are as authentic as can be.

Were Mannschaften Feldzeichen always backed with black baize, or did different states have different practices?

Much the same question for One Year Veteran Feldzeichen and Officer pieces.

Thank you. I really do appreciate the input.

Cheers,

Laurie

Tony,

Didn't the Württemberg mountain units also wear a Tschako with the Württemberg Feldzeichen?

Kaiserzeit,

Either no one knows or they don' want to tell you. :roll:

Chip

Kaiserzeit,

I know that there is a market for replacement parts, just like there is a market for originals. I suppose most collectors would rather not have their originals compromised by the ready availability of good quality reproductions. In the long run it hurts the hobby. We all know that sooner or later this is going to happen, but why hasten it?

I am sure that this subject has been discussed many times before, so I guess talking about it is just beating a dead horse. But when you look at all of the people being duped by fraudulent material on the internet, it does give one pause to think about this subject.

Chip

Dear Chip,

Thank you for your thoughtful note. I have thought long and hard about this issue; it is sort of a 'No-win' situation - I am bound to step on somebody's toes, so here goes:

There are those in the community that started collecting early enough or have deep enough pockets to have access to the very finest helmets that enter the marketplace. Quite frankly, I would accuse some, though not all, members of this group of arguing in their own self-interest.

Then there are a lot of collectors (myself included) that count themselves lucky if they can afford a piece that is, shall we call it politely: "a project piece."

Well, I am guilty as charged. My objective is to build a modest business to sell replacement parts to collectors who need them. In-so-doing, my intention is to offer my customers the best possible quality that I can.

That said, I am quite happy to be guided by the collecting community if there are ways that I can sell my pieces that will guard against fraudulent resale.

I have been around antiques and collectables for many years and it just cannot be avoided: When buying, the only ways to protect oneself are to:

1) Study, study, study.
2) Ask lots and lots of questions - never be embarassed to ask questions!
2) Only purchase from people you trust.
3) Where ever possible, purchase on the basis of documented provenance; a Seller's well-spun yarn doesn't cut it. This is particularly true for expensive pieces.
4) If that little voice in the background is telling you that something is not quite right, keep your powder dry.

Thank you, all, for allowing me to use the old soap box.

Cheers,

Laurie

kaiserzeit said:
Then there are a lot of collectors (myself included) that count themselves lucky if they can afford a piece that is, shall we call it politely: "a project piece."

Well, I am guilty as charged. My objective is to build a modest business to sell replacement parts to collectors who need them. In-so-doing, my intention is to offer my customers the best possible quality that I can.
Laurie,

I'm with you on this. Almost anything original is out of my price range. I have one reproduction pickelhaube right now and that's it. Chances are I'll never own an original.

I've come close to buying a couple of repro helmet wappen from you on eBay just to make some type of wall display, but I've noticed you don't take PayPal and that's about the only way I pay for things anymore. Maybe someday! :)

Back