Felt Ersatz Jager Tschako - 9th Jager Battalion

flasheart

Gents,

This is about the nicest original filz ersatz tschako I have seen, basically untouched. It took a bit of negotiation to prise it away from the owner, but well worth the effort, it was even better than I expected.

The tschako came from a 9th Jager Battalion grouping, but it is not marked as such.

An immaculate rolled-edge felt body, near mint thin leather liner, ersatz chin strap, original kokarden and Prussian abzeichen, which slides into a leather pouch behind the wappen. The crown of the wappen is slightly bend forward from years of pressing against the abzeichen and there is a corresponding wear mark on the badge.

Mike

P6130443.jpg

P6130444.jpg

P6130445.jpg

P6130442.jpg

P6130447.jpg

P6130448.jpg

P6130450.jpg

P6130450.jpg

P6130458.jpg

P6130453.jpg

P6130456.jpg

P6130455.jpg

P6130454.jpg

Aaarghh...! What a cracker this is, the nicest ersatz Tschako I've ever seen... Specially the chinstrap is very very interesting...
Big congrats for this one! :headbang:

Adler

Gents,

I had a couple of questions about this helmet on another forum, so I also post the information here.

The plate is a full-size pickelhaube plate, but appears to be original to the helmet and has been there forever, as shown in the photos below.

I cannot find any stamps on the leather liner, but there is a very faint, unreadable circular stamp on the rear visor. I am familiar with the J. Bambus & Co stamp from other rolled-edge filzhelms. Joe has a photo on his website:
http://www.pickelhauben.net/articles/Helmet_Makers.htm

Some filz tschakos are slotted to accept the abzeichen, some use the pouch arrangement. Lacarde has a photo on page 137 of the slotted filz tschako, and on page 138 is a rolled-edge filz tschako with a pouch behind the wappen; a very similar helmet to this one. There is also a Saxon MG Tschako with rolled-edge and abzeichen pouch on page 1265 of Johan Somers Vol 3 (belongs to Tony I believe?).

Here is the round stamp, too faint to read unfortunately:
P6140462.jpg

P6140440.jpg

Here are some additional photos of the helmet with plate removed. The helmet has been set up for a full-size plate and this one has been there forever by the looks of it- very dusty behind the plate.

P6140452.jpg

P6140454.jpg

P6140458.jpg

Back