Felt ersatz restoration by someone who knows nothing!

ChrisBum

Earlier this year I picked this up in a shop. To me it looks like it was taken a part as a project long ago and improperly put back together. I got it with the hopes of restoring it. I only spent $60 on it so if you tell me its all fake you wont break my heart. But if it is real I would like to restore the helmet. So the question is where do I start?
Thank you for any help.
Chris

1671390474609.jpeg
1671390516308.jpeg
1671390566699.jpeg
1671390665558.jpeg
1671390709637.jpeg
1671390773605.jpeg

I removed the top spike. The shape is very warped. However the felt is stiff. I had read that soft or squishy felt was a sign of fake felt helmet.

1671391316394.jpeg
1671391351333.jpeg

...................... I had read that soft or squishy felt was a sign of fake felt helmet.

Who ever wrote what you read is incorrect.

The Imperial Germans did indeed make felt helmets out of thinner felt that is soft and somewhat flexible when compared to this example you posted here. I own an example that was a direct WW1 U.S. Veteran bring-back helmet.

Best Regards,

Alan

Welcome! This felt helmet looks fine by me. The larger black disc should however be on the inside of the helmet.
The large metal discs behind the sideposts too.

You'll likely have to steam the felt to get it back into shape. I've done this in the past, using a tea kettle and then "blocking" the helmet to keep it in shape until the moisture from the steam dries. Take care not to burn yourself with the steam while doing this.

Coert is correct: the larger black disc should go on the inside of the helmet when the time comes to re-assemble things.

Congrats on finding this for a mere $60 in a shop, earlier this year.

And welcome to the forum, and thanks for posting this thread about your helmet.

The felt looks correct to me.
I have done a few felt restorations and have posted them.
Do a search and you will find a few pointers that will help you out.

First, welcome to the forum. From what I see, you have a perfectly legit. original felt helmet missing its helmet plate (wappen), chin strap and two kokarden. One of the big pluses here is that the liner is still present and in decent shape...you lucked out for $60. However it is going to cost you a lot more than that to replace the missing "bits". :) As far as reshaping the felt....go on youtube and watch a couple of videos on how real felt hat makers restore and make their hats. This will show you how to do it and the "felt stiffener" product they use to get the hat to stay in shape. Reshaping and making felt hats is all done using steam. Just be careful, you don't burn your self while steaming. The helmet plate you need is probably a brass Prussian. I do notice also, that someone has placed the tin washers for the side posts on the outside of the helmet, these go on the inside to re enforce the felt where the side posts are inserted. Have fun restoring this helmet and please post photos here when you are finished.

On another note, I spoke with a guy up in Orange County California who owns a haberdashery where they specifically work on felt hats.

I asked him about re-shaping a felt helmet in almost identical condition to yours that belongs to a pal of mine.

He told me he could do a professional job of it very easily and for not a lot of money.

It might be worth your time to see if there is a Haberdashery near you that could do the work if you think you want to go that route.

Bryan.

On another note, I spoke with a guy up in Orange County California who owns a haberdashery where they specifically work on felt hats.

I asked him about re-shaping a felt helmet in almost identical condition to yours that belongs to a pal of mine.

He told me he could do a professional job of it very easily and for not a lot of money.

It might be worth your time to see if there is a Haberdashery near you that could do the work if you think you want to go that route.

Bryan.
Thank you for the tip

Hey Chris thanks for reaching out to me.
I made Chris an offer that he accepted and I now have it.
I tried to reach out to several hatters in the New Orleans area and they were scared to touch it .
So I ordered a hand steamer and started on the reshaping process today.
I have already reshaped about 80 % of the helmet and had to stop .
The whole helmet is wet and it needs to dry out before I continue .
I will try to start a new post on this same helmet tomorrow.

Hey Chris thanks for reaching out to me.
I made Chris an offer that he accepted and I now have it.
I tried to reach out to several hatters in the New Orleans area and they were scared to touch it .
So I ordered a hand steamer and started on the reshaping process today.
I have already reshaped about 80 % of the helmet and had to stop .
The whole helmet is wet and it needs to dry out before I continue .
I will try to start a new post on this same helmet tomorrow.
I look forward to seeing the results
Steve

I'm looking forward to seeing your results too Mathew, but seeing your previous post about felt restorations, it will turn out great!

Regards. Coert.

Back