Felt Other Ranks Hesse Helmet

Spike

Hi I am after a Hesse state helmet well isn't everyone ! has anyone seen this helmet
showart.pl

I don't like it. I don't like the studs, the visor studs lack of marks and spine. Oh well. Probably great but not for me.

I held this in my hands. Ersatzboy (Pete) bought it and showed it to me. Needless to say, it is back in Germany. Pete can comment on it if he wishes.

Hi Eddie:

This is the link you intended to provide:

http://www.militaria-online.de/cgi-bin/showart.pl?art=205

I would exercise extreme caution with this Hessen. There are four points of greatest concern.

I don't like the way the visor trim climbs up the side of the helmet. It should end where the visor does, as in the case of my Baden Filz (felt). Furthermore the trim should be secured by a domed brad. The Hessen brad has a flat head.

PICT0243.jpg

PICT0244.jpg

Looking at the interior, the trim underside appears to have been peened in at least six places. I have never seen this on any helmet. Additionally, the manner in which the trim terminates is highly irregular. It's too long on the outside and too short on the underside. Finally, the domed spike base retainers are threaded and secured by nuts. Though correct for some private purchase helmets, I would expect to see split brads on an issued Ersatz Filz.

The helmet is not regimentally marked. For a Hessen, and a felt one, this represents a giant leap of faith.

Not all felt helmets were issued with visor trim or rear spine. The liner looks correct. It is possible the felt shell and liner are original. However, "to have and to hold" is far better for determining this. I believe the visor trim is a replica "upgrade." The chinstrap is a reproduction. The taper of the spike looks incorrect, and I suspect it is also a reproduction. There are several high quality electroformed replica Hessen Wappen being produced in Germany at present; therefore, not even the lion is sacrosanct. The Hessen Kokarde appears to be legit.

Seems to me I've exceeded my four points.

I wouldn't touch it.

Chas.

As further evidence of my bad faith in some of this dealer's inventory, take a look at this:

http://www.militaria-online.de/cgi-bin/showart.pl?art=103

...and read the following.

http://www.pickelhaubes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=99&start=15

I paid less money than that for a real one.

Chas.

Thanks everyone a strange looking helmet I thought the Badge, liner, and kockade were ok didn't like the front visor and shape of the helmet if it was ok ( 100% genuine that is )I would still have been tempted to get the plastic out ! I Thought this type of badge would not have been copied but not so "pickled again !" "Another fine Hesse I got my self into" uh ! I think from now on if there is one thing I do not like about a helmet unless it is the strap or kocades which can be changed easily enough then it's not worth the hassle or hessle even sorry !

You are all so picky! This helmet seems to me very appropriately priced at 16 euro!
Bruno

Hi Guys

Tony & I had a hands on with this one..

In my opinion

-Body, shell liner were 100% original.
-Didn't see any extra holes under the wappen & it was very well fit to the helmet.

But....
-Front trim was funky, probably replaced.
-Small brads on the visor trim where not original to the helmet. (you could see the outlines for the original larger size examples)
-Spike was very strange & the brads/studs holding on the spike base looked too large & new.

Bottom line was too many questions marks to go into my collection

Pete

Back