Feuerwehr Officer Dagger

SCHUPO

Gents,

I picked up an interesting Feuerwehr (FW) Officer style dagger by Alexander Coppel and I wonder if anyone has seen a big one like this before? It is longer by the length of the nickeled scabbard drag than my standard Alcoso (scales) commonly seen FW Officer dagger. The black leather scabbard has two suspension rings for the two strap black leather officer hanger. It also has a large sawback blade with a rather standard FW etching on both sides. The blade is marked "AC" on the edge like we see on other Coppel sawback bayonets. The clamshell is plain and the grip is black horn. Most FW sidearms of this size that I see are NCO styles that are worn vertically in a frog rather than being suspended by straps via rings.

This dagger seems to be from the Imperial period or, I suppose, as late as the Weimar Republic time period.

This same FW dagger, without the clamshell, is shown in the Eickhorn catalog but not in the Coppel catalog. Any idea what the Coppel catalog number for this monster might be?

Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• FW dagger.JPG
    FW dagger.JPG
    85 KB · Views: 16
  • FW dagger scabbard.JPG
    FW dagger scabbard.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 17
  • FW dagger blade.JPG
    FW dagger blade.JPG
    90.5 KB · Views: 13
  • FW dagger hilt.JPG
    FW dagger hilt.JPG
    98.9 KB · Views: 13
  • FW dagger hilt back.JPG
    FW dagger hilt back.JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 16
I also have no knowledge of these but I really like the simple classic design of it’s manufacture! 👍

Nice looking dagger, have had a few of these over the years. Considered a Imperial period piece.

I went through a Fireman's dagger, Axe phase years ago, sadly had to sell them all to buy helmets.

James

Thank you all for looking. I am like you James but I guess I have not yet completed my Feuerwehr stage. I think I have until I see some FW item that I think is really neat. Like this sawback Coppel dagger.

Anyway, I know the dagger was made by Coppel but I just can't find a rendition of it in one of their catalogs. An almost identical one in the Eickhorn catalog but nothing in the Coppel. Oh well... here is a page of FW Axes from an Eickhorn catalog showing some of the variations then available. James, this should send you on a trip down memory lane.

Attachments

• FW axe & case.JPG
    FW axe & case.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 6
  • FW axe head.JPG
    FW axe head.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 6
  • FW axe.JPG
    FW axe.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 7
  • Swed eick FW axe.JPG
    Swed eick FW axe.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 5
  • fire truck.jpg
    fire truck.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 5
  • FW axe marking.JPG
    FW axe marking.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 5
Thank you all for looking. I am like you James but I guess I have not yet completed my Feuerwehr stage. I think I have until I see some FW item that I think is really neat. Like this sawback Coppel dagger.

Anyway, I know the dagger was made by Coppel but I just can't find a rendition of it in one of their catalogs. An almost identical one in the Eickhorn catalog but nothing in the Coppel. Oh well... here is a page of FW Axes from an Eickhorn catalog showing some of the variations then available. James, this should send you on a trip down memory lane.
Yes it does, I owned some very cool axes over the years, Brian and Gus can remember when I sold them all at SOS. Had some nice Ivory handle ones etc. I miss them as they are very striking to look at.

Thanks for sharing.

James

Back