Fez and Colonial Headgear

Not very pleasant to ear that "an advanced collector actually gave a thumbs down" in a PM (to someone else!), on the fez I posted here.
So I am (finaly!!) prepared to open the debat. These items are very rare, and you will not find them on fleemarkets or car boot sales.
I get most of them from veterans who kept them all that time.
My father is the chairman of such a veterans association, and that open's some doors! ;-)
Not only the items are hard to find but pictures are as well.
Finally found some , so please compare the fez to the one on the picture taken in Léopoldville in the early 50 ties!
fez020_zpse828783f.jpg

fez008_zpse1ea86a6.jpg

fez025_zps973fe768.jpg

After many months of not finding anything; I got lucky ...again... in a short laps of time.
Finaly found a good "Congo star"; the long service medal.
And in addition a redduction of the medal, not the miniature, but a size in between (those are realy hard to find!).
You will get to see a lot of Congo Stars being offerd, but most of them are not time pieces, many were produced in the late 70 'ties to satisfy the demande on the collectors market.
med018_zps8aff01e3.jpg

med017_zpsa0ab939c.jpg

Anyone seen this one? Not cheap but still very nice... I guess: 8-[

https://www.history-shop.de/katalog/artikel/FEZ_getragen_von_Deutschen_88458_e.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks Ron.
I saw it. But that kind of money gets you other items ...with ....let's say... more "schwung".....
cheers
|<ris

That's very interesting about the high fez. Prior to this they used the lower fez. My understanding is that hte British fezzes tended to have the tassle that more like a pull cord on drapes. That's what one colleague has explained.

Did you two see this one?

https://www.history-shop.de/katalog/art" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... 458_e.html

They seem to have changed its location.

Here it is now: https://www.history-shop.de/katalog/artikel/FEZ_getragen_von_Deutschen_88458.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hello Kris,
It is, but I have the impression Peter and Chris (ukturkcollector) haven't noticed it... :wink:
Pretty nice one but too expensive given the fact it has no emblem or insignia whatsoever... (if it was up to me, I would've had that nice maker's mark on the outside :) )

According to a colleague it is a civilian fez merely marked in German, but not in the least military. It a $50 item on a good day.

Peter_Suciu said:
According to a colleague it is a civilian fez merely marked in German, but not in the least military. It a $50 item on a good day.
Exactly what I was thinking!
|<

Very glad with thise new addition;
A Belgian Congo post war walking out police officer's uniform. Very hard to get thes days.
Not related to the guy on the periode picture!

stuka f said:
Very glad with thise new addition;
A Belgian Congo post war walking out police officer's uniform. Very hard to get thes days.

Wow! That stuff just speaks to me. I have a lot of stuff from different eras but in the last couple of years I've really been focusing on tropical apparel, helmets, uniforms. That is simply fantastic!

Back