Fez and Colonial Headgear

Thanks Peter!
I would also like to ad a other time pic I found on the net regarding the police fez (the guy in the back, standing in the door, is wearing a similar one!);

stuka f said:
Thanks Peter!
I would also like to ad a other time pic I found on the net regarding the police fez (the guy in the back, standing in the door, is wearing a similar one!);

Very interesting. Thank you for sharing.

Latest find; the badge(ID/ dogtag) of a person who served in the Belgian Weermacht / force publique in Belgian Congo.
That army was founded in 1885 to protect and help the Belgian kolonialists in Congo.
Only 100.000 European men served in that army from the start till the end in 1960.
So imagine my surprise finding a legitimation badge / dog tag with a number as low as thise one.
The coat of arms of Congo appearing on the badge tells it was used during the periode 1885 untill 1908, the time Congo was the private property of king Leopold II.
Any Belgian Weermacht item of that periode (before 1908) is very rare to find.
I think I must be able to find out to who the badge belonged with the number it bears, that might bring out a other surprise.....
;-)
cheers
|<ris

Just got a other Belgian 1914–1917 African Campaigns Commemorative Medal.
It is a original time piece with makers marks! And it's original (pale!)ribbon.
cheers
|<ris

I decided to cut down my Congo collection a while ago, but the items keep on knocking at my door....so I let them in.
Here you got the 3 kind of cap's for Belgian officials.
Going from a gouvernor's cap (high ranking officers), to a administrator (officers), to the lower echelon (NCO, in thise case a postal official!).

Finaly a Belgian Congo medal bar.
Been after one since I started collecting again, and finaly just got one.
As you can see fresh from the sales room!
Price was a "little" over theyr evaluation!!

It is very hard to find photographic proof of police headgear, so I hit the bingo today by finding this page;
https://www.stanleyville.be/armee_police.html
Peter will probably love it too! ;-)

Good stuff Kris.

Did you see the movie prop Force Publique helmet I bought. Not the real deal but probably as close as I'll get for now!

No, Peter didn't see it!
Here is a pic of Belgian officers ](*,) in "out of Africa"; :eek: ....not even close :-?

Back