fiber pickelhaube

pointystuff

At first this one didn't seem to be attracting much attention.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=013&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=230144815999&rd=1&rd=1
Someone must really want that helmet.
Brad

What is this one? I have not seen this configuration before. Is that liner correct? Looks like the liners in the fakes coming out of the UK. Is it correct?

pointystuff said:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=013&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=230144815999&rd=1&rd=1
Brad

The flat-headed studs / fiber construction is shown in Bowman's 2nd volume.
The liner doesn't look old, but maybe it's a war bond prize that spent its 9 decades in a warehouse and a trunk. I have the remains of a fiber helmet, but mine is sewn like a typical leather helmet, not put together with flat-head studs. Like this one, mine is spineless.
Regards,
Brad

A pierced crown officer Wappen poorly fitted to an issued style helmet does not bode well in my book. I don't like the liner, or the G.I. bootlace cinch, either. More's the pity as the rest is interesting.

Chas.

pointystuff said:
Brad

To be honest, I wouldn't touch it with a badge pole. Apart from a good condition OR shell, the rest looks put together to me

Greetings All

This helmet is very similar to one that I purchased in an antique mall in Pennsylvania last April. 7 rivets or studs holding the neck guard in place with 2 close together on each side. Black skull interior with an EM Prussian wappen and flat scale chinstrap with officer rossettes. The liner is held in place by the rivets and a 1" strip of fiber material that goes around the interior. Our helmet shows honest age for all components and its liner leather is typical of what one would expect to see in a standard M1915. The Ebay examples liner does look a bit "fresh", but, without actually holding the specimen its hard to say. Liner aside, its very similar in construction to ours.

Larry

he is posting a GAurd plate on front and all the paint looks to be removed and metal polished . wat to fishy .
mark

I missed this one thread when I was out of town. This example from the Trawnik collection. Lots of questions surround these kinds of helmets in my mind. Were they issue? Were they private purchase? What's up with the officer cockades and Wappen?
AA%20All%20fiber%20body%20ersatz.jpg

AA%20All%20fiber%20body%20ersatz%20back.jpg

AA%20All%20fiber%20body%20ersatz%20inside.jpg

Hi Joe

Our helmet is nearly identical in construction to Randy's. Add a flat scale chinstrap and its own set of dings and dents and you have it. Same rivet pattern and the skull interior is black as well. The underside of the visor & neck guard on our helmet is tan and you can see a persons name and a size 56 1/2 done in pencil.

Larry

Back