Field Grey by Baldwin & Fisher

drakegoodman

I thought we had a book review section here somewhere :-k

Anyhoo - my copy arrived this morning and after an hour assessing the pros and cons I've decided I'm definitely not a fan of the large format as I can't sit in my favourite chair and read it comfortably. It's definitely a desk / table job in this household. In fact, it's so big that if it came with legs you could use it as a coffee table.

The size however certainly allows the detail of the contemporary uniform photos to be studied in detail. A win for the uniform collectors on that front.

As a photo-collector however I was disappointed in the lack of period photos. I know this isn't a picture book like the Chas. Woolley tomes, but I really did expect a lot more and to add to my frustration, the pictures that they have included I would describe as quite ordinary in both quality and subject matter. Take for example the NCO from Füsilier-Regiment 73 on page 8. His Gibraltar cuff title is so blurred you can’t make it out. It's hardly showcasing the uniform or the cuff-title as intended.

Another annoyance is the blue-grey border running vertically down the left edge of every left hand page. What's that about? IMHO it makes the book look like one of those gaudy coffee table books filled with repro ephemera and pop-ups. The font style leaves little to be desired as well.

I'm not sure what the information is like yet, although I'm sure it will come in handy when Marshall and Tony S finally get sick of responding to my inane emails asking "What's this?" or "What's that?"

Just my 10 cents worth.

- Brett

http://www.flickr.com/photos/drakegoodman/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back