Filz second opinion

a friend of mine is interested in the filz helmet on the link below (4th item down) it looks ok to me but I would hate to mis guide him especially as its felt and in the uk.

i would greatly appreciate any comments as he is ready to get his wallet out.

thanks in advance

https://grahamcurriemilitaria.co.uk/index.php/helmets-a-headgear/german" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I would bet money that the leather for the chinstrap is an older replacement. Look at how long the cut end of the leather is under the buckle in the center top photo, and the far right top row photo. :(

Top of spike is dented up. :(

No kokardes. :(

Way too much money for a plain brass fitted felt helmet without any visor trim or backspine, and no kokardes. This one is the basic of all basic felt helmets. 695 Pounds Sterling would be $927.91 US Dollars which would be outrageously high if for sale in the USA.

A similar Prussian Felt helmet w/no chinstrap did not sell for $564.99 on eBay USA for a couple of tries, and it hasn't sold the last time the seller had it re-listed. He wants an outrageous $41.50 to ship it within the USA, which is also part of the reason why it hasn't sold. Here's the link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/WW1-Pickelhaube-Ersatz-Felt-/202040525134" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?

Similar Prussian felt helmets to the one your friend is looking at in the UK have been selling on eBay USA w/out chinstraps or kokardes, in the $400-$500 maximum range over the past year from what I have been seeing.

Best Regards,

Alan

It looks to be a good one but as was stated by alan it has no cocades so if you have to buy these separatly from the helmet where wil it end with the total price payed for a stil common helmet as this one
I would wait until a completer one pops up if i was your friend
They ar still to be found

Jonas

ww1czechlegion said:
I would bet money that the leather for the chinstrap is an older replacement. Look at how long the cut end of the leather is under the buckle in the center top photo, and the far right top row photo. :(

Top of spike is dented up. :(

No kokardes. :(

Way too much money for a plain brass fitted felt helmet without any visor trim or backspine, and no kokardes. This one is the basic of all basic felt helmets. 695 Pounds Sterling would be $927.91 US Dollars which would be outrageously high if for sale in the USA.

A similar Prussian Felt helmet w/no chinstrap did not sell for $564.99 on eBay USA for a couple of tries, and it hasn't sold the last time the seller had it re-listed. He wants an outrageous $41.50 to ship it within the USA, which is also part of the reason why it hasn't sold. Here's the link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/WW1-Pickelhaube-Ersatz-Felt-/202040525134" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?

Similar Prussian felt helmets to the one your friend is looking at in the UK have been selling on eBay USA w/out chinstraps or kokardes, in the $400-$500 maximum range over the past year from what I have been seeing.

Best Regards,

Alan

I completely agree. I think the leather for the chinstrap is an older replacement. The fittings for the chinstrap may be original. The Kokarden will cost around $100.00 for good originals, Prussian being the most common.
I think the helmet is good. Most of us have at least one leather chinstrap replacement or repro.
I would buy this helmet for around $400.00, maybe up to $450.00. There is no way it is worth what he is asking. With a $100.00 Kokarden replacement this helmet would be well over $1000.00 US.
These helmets come up periodically on other militaria websites. Look at those and keep looking at Ebay. It won't take too long to find one.

John :)

Thanks for the responses, he is going to take your advice and keep an eye on ebay USA even with 20% import tax he can make a saving.

cheers

gunner cooper said:
Thanks for the responses, he is going to take your advice and keep an eye on ebay USA even with 20% import tax he can make a saving.

cheers

Good decision. I paid euro 200.00 for the same one.
Bruno

Back