Finally a real red Bush

joerookery

This is not a great helmet. The guys who have really nice stuff will probably shake their heads at this. The helmet plate has been polished to the point where it has lost all of its Mercury gilding. There are numerous rips in the sweatband of the liner. I did not pay very much for it and finally finally finally I got rid of the reproduction busche I had in the cabinet. George Anderson bought a pretty much perfect one at SOS several years ago for $1000. I had acute trichter envy. While this one is not nearly as good as Georges it has the right busche even if it is a little bit short. So for all the people who say save your money for a good one–they are absolutely right however, I really got tired of waiting and when this came available it was certainly better than what I had. You do not see these everyday. So I got this for the trichter and paid only a little bit more than that item is worth for the entire helmet. One kind of interesting little point about this is that I am not really sure what it is made of. From the outside it kind of looks like fiber. From the inside it looks like leather. There is no covering on the inside. It is just kind of funny.

I would like to publicly thank James for mailing this to me and holding it while I was gone.

bavactarty1s.jpg

bavactarty2.jpg

bavactarty6.jpg

Congrats Joe; I think it looks really cool!
What year/model would that be?

Nice musicians trichter and helme. Note the "executive" higher priced liner with the silk ribbon woven into the edge of the sweat band. Congrats Joe.

silk ribbon woven into the edge of the sweat band

Thanks Brian but that brings up an entirely different subject. I do not know if this was a common practice or something really restricted to one company. The guys who made Awes Mark I think had 3 different levels. I also think that this is maybe the middle. All of this is just exploring possibilities because the maker is not marked on this sweat band.

aws.JPG

I think this picture is the top.-- I saw that Chris had a nice one on WAF. big subject.

b.loree said:
Nice musicians trichter and helme. Note the "executive" higher priced liner with the silk ribbon woven into the edge of the sweat band. Congrats Joe.
In Bavarian service didn't the artillery wear a red bush?
Steve

In Bavarian service didn't the artillery wear a red bush?

Yes this is Bavarian artillery!
http://www.pickelhauben.net/pickelhaube/BavarianArtilleryActive.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

... you are joking, right?

No I really wasn't. This helmet has more than a fair share of problems. The liner, the polishing, the shortness of the busche. but like I said–a whole lot better than I had topped in red!

I don't know that/I don't think whether Musicians "überhaupt" had an Officers rank...
They were more likely Artists...holding a Military rank.
Francis

looks like a good helmet to me. It's always nice to upgrade. My problem is, if I upgrade, I keep the other helmet too (as with my General a'la Suite, one nice helmet and one that's been worn to a nub.)

:D Ron

Yes they are rounded–I always have a hard time with Bavarian scales. It seems that as time goes on I can tell the difference less and less. :-k :-k

Regarding Mannschaftenhelmets (non officers): is there any distinction?

Marcel,

I finally got my computer fixed so I'm going back and answering things I should have done earlier. Sorry for the delay. No there is no real distinction however there is a difference between Bavarian Field artillery and foot artillery. This was discussed in a recent thread but the discussion was kind of shut down quickly. Many people have difficulty with these kinds of helmets.

http://www.pickelhaubes.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7343" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I had a closer look at my Larcade Volume 2 book:
On Parade:
Bayerische Artillerie:
Feld Artillerie: Red Haarbusch.
Fuss Artillerie: No Haarbusch at all.
Rgds,
Francis

Khukri said:
I had a closer look at my Larcade Volume 2 book:
On Parade:
Bayerische Artillerie:
Feld Artillerie: Red Haarbusch.
Fuss Artillerie: No Haarbusch at all.
Rgds,
Francis

#-o By dumb luck, I got it right! =D>

:-$ Ron

I showed this one quite some time ago: it doesn't quite have convex chinsales, so apparently no correct match to the helmet? The helmet came with a fluted spike also, so I guess I have to screw on the spike and search for a helmet for these chinsales... I just received the latests Jan Kube auction catalogue, and there are two similar helmets offered witch (apparently) convex chinsales..

20100427_0110.jpg

regards

Marcel

Back