Finally a real red Bush

Marcel,

It was a problem that put me on the search. Similar to yours I had a non original red busche with straight hair. That does not work for an officer's helmet at all. However, I have one on a fluted trichter which is clearly and obviously a reproduction. The thread on the screws does not match the spike base. So it's sort of wobbled. As it stands now I will take this combination 2 SOS and try to sell it as a reproduction. I have not found a spike when the old helmet which is also a mess. Actually a much bigger mess a rating of 3 at best. How much are the helmets going for in the catalog? I have not gotten mine yet.

Marcel, if you haven't already (knowing it's an old photo), you may want to remove the chin scales and place the cockades behind them as they should be.

:D Ron

Sure Ron, I posted this photo just after receiving the helmet, I refitted the Kokardes the proper way.

As for the chin sales: according to Herr/Nguyen ("The German Infantry 1871 - 1914" p. 680 and 686), convex chin sales became regulation wear from February 13. 1914 onwards. So an earlier helmet in parade wear could have the flat ones then?

Joe, my Paradebusch is made of hair from a horse.

Regards

Marcel

Marcel,

Joe, my Paradebusch is made of hair from a horse.

Yes! Which makes that good for your helmet but alas not for mine. And while mine looks the same mine is not original. Maybe the hair is as I have not burned it but for sure for sure the trichter on mine is a reproduction. And because it was not Buffalo hair it did not even match any kind of officer. This one is all original however, too short.

Back