Finally complete

J.LeBrasseur

Administrator
Staff member
Well after many, many years, finally got a Hessian 115 wappen to complete this helmet.

Bruno helped me locate one years ago on Ebay Germany, but the seller stopped the auction and would not sell it to me. Then earlier this year, Alan found one for me on a German Auction site. missing a leaf on the right but otherwise good.

Well paid more for the wappen then I did for the rest of the helmet, but sometimes you have to do what you have to do. When am I going to find another???

Thanks Alan for all the help.

This is a lovely named helmet that I am happy to complete. When I found it had everything including Bandeau, just no wappen.

thanks

James

Beautiful helmet James.
It can take us years to complete a project, but it is well worth it.

John :bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

J.LeBrasseur said:
Well paid more for the wappen then I did for the rest of the helmet, but sometimes you have to do what you have to do. When am I going to find another???

Possibly never. You have to take the shot when the target is in sight. Congratulations as it can be agony trying to complete a helmet missing a critical part. Beautiful looking example James.

That is a nice end result you made to t that helmet

Its in its fully glory thats al that matters :bravo:

Nice marking in it

Jonas

SkipperJohn said:
Beautiful helmet James.
It can take us years to complete a project, but it is well worth it.

John :bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

I just wanted to add this note:
I cannot imagine how long you had to wait to find this Wappen. I have never purchased a helmet that needed more than a
Kokarde, or Kokarden and a chinstrap on M15's. Your post caused me to think about some of the waiting and searching I have
done.
You recently helped me find an original Bavarian Kokarde, priced right, total wait time = over two years.
I am still looking for a Saxon Reichs Kokarde to match this one:

55mm, non-serrated, large center hole for M91 lug. When I bought this Saxon helmet I remember thinking that I might have
to wait a couple of years to find an original Kokarde. Total wait, so far = 16 years!!!

I can't even find a reproduction of this (unless I enlarge the center hole).

I admire your patience,

John :cry:

A real pleasure to see this superb helmet.
It's got the lot: beauty, rarity and condition. Excellent.

Peter

Hi James,

Your helmet looks absolutely fantastic! =D> \:D/ It's in excellent condition, and the markings are an added bonus on the back visor.

It's great to see that it was brought home by a Doughboy from the 50th Engineers. I wonder if some research can be done on him?

Best Regards,

Alan

Congratulations !

I tried too to find Wappen which fits to an helmet and that's not easy. So when the wappen is scarce, it is more difficult.

I like the writing inside, showing that this helmet was took by a US soldier.

James, Congratulations! Beautiful piece. It's nice the way the patina of the wappen matches the rest of the trim.

I can really empathize with this particular project. I bought a wrecked IR 115 pickelhaube and then launched a parts search. The most difficult thing was the rear visor. I got lucky with pickelhaube shell stamped for IR 116. We harvested the rear visor and doctored it with period German type set to make the "6" into a "5."

Mark D.

Great, James! Congratulations!

And the good thing, is that you found a JR115 Wappen matching the RBA18 marking on the neckguard. (RBA18 helmets of the JR115 were war-made helmets).
Wappen which have fitted the pre-war JR115 helmets (marked JR115)are a little bit different, some very few details :wink:

Philippe
:wink:

Back