Firing my Gewehr 98 with Trench Magazine (Video)

Zoring

Hey Guys, thought this might be of interest to you, wasn't quite sure which forum to put it in me shooting my 1917 DWM Gewehr 98 with a Grabenmagazin, in late war German kit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0i9WOLn_6qQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It has an original 20 round Trench Magazine, first time i had used it hence my pleased thumbs up on the first part. I'd always read that the Trench Magazine doesn't work very well, my impression of it was positive, feeding was perfect and loading only slightly heavier but not even uncomfortable, even with 20 rounds.

In the last shoot you can see I am a bit more tired from shooting during the day. The extra weight underneath the action made me involuntarily drop it off my shoulder cycling the bolt. That is the most noticeable difference I felt.

Uniform is Post 1916 German Infantry.

Second and Third part I had to put on doofy safety glasses. The clip i drop on the floor was because it was too big to fit the guide rail, ex-yugoslav surplus clips and the G98 guide is fairly slim.

Very cool indeed! :guns:

But how did you have the courage to wear all this gear and not risk damaging it? Or are these replicas/reenactment gear?

I remember taking my Gew. 98 only once to the shooting range back in the mid-90s to make sure it was all OK and then giving it a good clean and a well-deserved retirement after all it's been through...

Thanks guys :) You are right Ron it is replica gear mostly, just the gun, bayonet and helmet are originals. I am glad you thought it convincing enough to worry though!

The gun itself is in perfect mechanical condition, I keep it well looked after and shoot it fairly regularly. The stock in the video is actually a newly made one that I put in specially so I wouldn't ding up or risk cracking my original one carrying it around or shooting it. I also shoot reduced loads to not put any undue stress on the action.

That said I'm always amazed at how perfectly these things function after 100 years, they were really built to last!

Back