First new item of 2008: Hessen Infanterie-Regt 115 Haube!

Tony without Kaiser

Departed
Staff member
Well, it is after midnight here on the East Coast of Canada, so this counts as the first ' New Item" on the year and it is my 01 Jan 08 update. Historically, my first update of a new year is a significant one, and I think I met that goal again this year. Agree?

What? You were expecting silver fittings?
biggrin.gif

Please click HEREfor many clear, large photos and details on this superb helmet.

dbh62.jpg

A beautiful helmet plus a well researched, informative history. However, Was ist los mit "M1801 chinscale post?"

Congratulations T!

Chas.

Jerry Rehr said:
Ok Tony I'll bite why not "Why not Silver fittings?" :D :D Jerry
If I may quote from Tony's website, "The Hessen Leibgarde-Infanterie-Regt wore brass fittings on their Pickelhaubes from 1871 to 1897. In 1897 they were awarded silver fittings and a new lion Wappen with oakleaves."

So I guess this would mean this is a helmet made prior to the change to silver in 1897.

Hi Tony

Marvelous! Very nice helmet: all parts fit as well as possible I especially like the Bandeau 1621 with the very nice black painting.

Congratulations and Happy new Year!

I knew you all would enjoy this helmet. What makes it even more scarce, is that according to Larcade (Vol 1. p.78,79) the Grand-Duke of Hessen decided in 1897 to convert the Regiment to silver fittings to reflect their Leib status. As an economic measure, the brass fittings of IR115 helmets models 1891/1895 that were already in service, were chemically "whitened" to silver, so that they could be worn at the autumn maneuvers which the Kaiser would be attending. Unfortunately, the treatment process used to whiten the brass fittings was a complete failure as the fittings quickly became a dirty-grey color, and it was impossible to revive them. :sad3: Somehow, this helmet that I have obtained was very fortunate to have missed this "whitening" process which would have ruined it.

Back