Flak in macedonia

Robert

I thought this was a nice picture to go at. Just having fun with my new scanner.

flak_mazedonien_2.jpg

flak_mazedonien_3.jpg

Sweet! :) I should have two new scroll helmet pictures arriving shortly -- nothing as good as yours Robert but one that is very interesting and different! I just can't find the clear ones that you find

Waiting to see them! I gave up on one some time ago. It was from GMGA 213 and would have been nice because I have two other non-scroll pictures from that unit but well cant get them all.

This time an Uan!

ulanscroll.jpg

ulanscroll_1.jpg

ulanscroll_3.jpg

ulanscroll_4.jpg

ulanscroll_5.jpg

The 122nd Fusilier Regiment did indeed push on to southern Serbia. In June of 1916 the Regiment was sent to Galatia in response to the June Russian offensive. x In that operation, the Regiment was severely decimated.

http://www.pickelhauben.net/articles/Scroll_helmets.html

The last number on the helmet might be a 5 -- cannot be certain. Seems to have the corner decorations on a type 1 similar to the 238 picture.

What do you think is going on here???

Cool photos,
Would you guess thatt he Ulan is packing a Langenhan, or a Dreyse?
Gus

Cool! :wav:

An Ulan - thats completely new! Any writing, date?

What I was wondering too - is there a chin strap? Its not visible it seems considering the bright strap belongs to the neck flap. Somehow the neck flap looks also heavier to me than on the other pictures.

Robert,

There is absolutely nothing on the back --sad. It does not look as though there is a chinstrap attached to the posts. I agree with all of your comments about the flap. I have no explanation nor any large clue. Can you tell his rank?

Thanks George -- this is the first officer I have found with a scroll helmet. Other officers seem to have worn spikes. Maybe that explains the Ulan -- an officer assigned to the 122nd fusilier's?? Can someone look up the 122nd fusilier regiment and see if there was a
Lt. from an Ulan regiment?

According to " Histories of 251 Divisions" the 122nd was attached to the 105th Division in Macedonia in 1916. That source indicates that the 105th's cavalry was made up of elements of the 4th JzP only. I guess that he could be part of the Corps or Divisional staff.

He could also be from one of those troublesome Gebiergs MG Abteilung. I have no information on where they were attached in the Kraus book on infantry offers no help. Someday maybe they will publish a machine gun book?! Just because the guy has an armband does not really mean he is in fusilier regiment 122 -- maybe this is some exercise control group??

A book of mine from the 1920s lists the 1st Husaren Reg. King Albert Nr.18, 4. Esk. Gren z. Pf Reg. Fr. v. Derfflinger Nr.3, 2. Esk. Dragoner Reg. Wedel Nr.11, 3. Esk. Husaren Reg. Blücher v. Wahlstatt Nr.5, 2. Esk. Bav. Reserve Kav. Reg. Nr.1 in Macedonia but it is mentioned that this is not complete.

>I have no information on where they were attached

Another book from the same Reichsarchive series also shows the structure of some units in the 1916 campain. E.g., GMGA 231, 218 and 210 were attached to the assembled division "v. Hippel" togather with the saxon Jäger Btl Nr. 12.

div_hippel.jpg

This is an interesting book to read from GMGA point of view because it also describes their deployment a bit. For example, in October 1916 GMGA 218 evidently played an important part in delaying the allied advance at the Cerna river until reinforcements arrived, and later in November again in preventing an allied breakthrough after the collapse of the Bulgarian front line.

gmga218.jpg

>Could he be a Pilot

Manfred von Richthofen continued to carry his Ulan uniform too.. this site lists former Ulans and others that later became pilots: http://www.frontflieger.de/33regiment.html#ulan

It lists e.g. the officers (and former Ulans) Hellmut Camin, Hans Henning v. Winterfeld and Max Trapp who all served in FFA 69 - this FFA 69 fought in Macedonia and belonged to the same division as the GMGA that I mentioned above (see also the divisional structure). There are just so many possibilities for that picture!

Meet Gustav Luigurt of GMGA232
GMGA2320001_1.jpg

GMGA2320001.jpg

GMGA2320001_2.jpg

I got a small album of pictures from this unit and while that individual photo was not identified there are three copies of it and I am sure he is the one. What is interesting is the date -- most of these pictures seem to be dated from the first several months of 1917. There are both pictures that this guy sent and pictures that were sent to him. I do not have a copy of the Redbook on Macedonia but I do have the same green volume you have Robert. I cannot find 232 but from the back of the cards it seems to have come from Spandau near Berlin.

GMGA2320002.jpg

GMGA2320002_1.jpg

This gives you a feel for the terrain on that front.

Nice pictures! By coincidence I evidently have three postcards from the same man allthough without scroll helmet, all stamped may to july 1917. GMGA 232 is mentioned in the second Macedonia book from the Reichsarchive series to have remained there until the end of the war, but no details.

gmga232_1_2.jpg

gmga232_2_2.jpg

I evidently have three postcards from the same man allthough without scroll helmet, all stamped may to july 1917.

That is exactly the same guy! Amazing -- beyond amazing! I can send you one of the pictures of the scroll helmets. I have three copies and you are welcome to one.

GMGA 232 is mentioned in the second Macedonia book from the Reichsarchiv

Is there a map or an order of battle?

I have three copies and you are welcome to one.

Thanks for the kind offer! I would be pleased to send you the postcards that I have in return.

The book lists all remaining units in the apendix and that is the only reference to GMGA 232 that I found yet. I scanned through the battle reports and found mentionings of GMGA 230, 231 and 233, but not of 232 so far. The book also has no maps on tactical level, only divisional scale movements are shown. If I find something about 232 I´ll give a short note.

Evidently GMGA 232 was Prussian, not from Bavaria or Würtemberg. One of my postcards shows a green secondary stamp titled Königlich (?) Preussische Gebirgs Masch. Gew. Abtl. Nr. 232 with prussian eagle. That would match the Berlin addresses (2xCharlottenburg, one to Solingen?). BTW, from the post addresses I think his name may be Lempert which is more common.

Oh wait, now I get it. I was wondering why one card with unclear stamp was addressed to Solingen instead of Berlin like the others. This is from a different unit, GMGA 213. It matches a second card from that GMGA that was deep down in my WW1 box. Will send.

I guess a Prussian unit would not give such a sloppy appearance anyway (is that his dog tag hanging from his suspenders?).

gmga213.jpg

Looks like his dogtags to me! I do not know where all of these units came from nor do I think I will know until Kraus finishes his machine gun unit book. I know that 250 was from Württemberg. Other than that...

Back